Title: UX Researcher/Human Factors Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab : Health ( MPS)
Location: Mountain View, CA
SRA MPS Health Solutions Lab: Our mission is to empower Samsung’s users to more easily monitor and manage their own and their loved-ones’ health through advanced health service and medical device innovation. We specialize in developing Samsung’s upcoming software-based medical devices and health services, including product definition and strategy, partner integrations, UI/UX design, usability research, clinical validation, regulatory submissions, and software development/lifecycle. Millions of Samsung users’ lives around the world have been touched by our products, including the Samsung HeartWise cardiac rehabilitation App and the Samsung ECG Monitor App. Join us!
In this position, you’ll join a cross-disciplinary team of product managers, designers, user researchers, writers, and software engineers to help users become more aware of and proactive about improving their health. Example products will include working on innovative SaMD/health applications, from concept to launch, by using a variety of research methodologies, such as in-depth interviews, usability testing, observation, and contextual inquiry to provide high-quality research with impactful recommendations. We use an iterative research and design approach in the lab and thus the ideal candidate will feel comfortable with running multiple studies on incomplete ideas/designs prior to product release in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to run a study from end-to-end: to align on study goals with various stakeholders, execute remote and/or in-person studies, and analze data to write and present a report that is easy for diverse stakeholders to consume with relevant and succint recommendations.
The ideal candidate is a realiable teammate who is willing to support the needs of other functions and recognizes the value of working collaboratively towards the common goal of improving upon and creating products that serve user needs. They advocate for the user, recognize constraints, but are also forward-thinking about building the best experience.
- Working with recruiting vendors to recruit participants for a study (includes writing a screener).
- Writing study plans using appropriate methods to answer the key research questions and that include key information for upcoming study.
- Independently running user-research studies.
- Quickly synthesizing research findings into insights that stakeholders (e.g., product, design, writing) can understand and act on.
- Preparing report presentations to communicate research findings.
- Working with product, writing, design, and development teams to support guide/lead the development of products/prototypes to support further testing.
- Collaborating with other team members to build applications for Samsung’s cutting-edge smartphone and wearable SaMD solutions, including collaborations with Samsung Health.
- Leading, mentoring, and guiding other researchers on the team by providing constructive feedback and reviews on research reports and during collaboration sessions.
- Helping provide documentation for SaMDs, which includes human factors validation plan, use related risks analysis, and tracking all recommendations made during the formative studies.
- Using research insights to help establish a roadmap for health strategy, with a forward-thinking vision of how our health products and services can best fit into user’s lives.
- Meeting with key stakeholders (PM, Head of Human Factors, Regulatory Affairs, Head of Engineering) to understand key milestones for product development.
- Working with UX Manager on research priorities.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD Degree in Engineering/Sciences (Master’s preferred) or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 6+ years of UX Research/Human Factors experience
- Educational background in research-related domains, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors or comparable industry research experience or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Experience leading several research studies from end to end and throughout the development life cycle
- Experience using a variety of research methodologies (e.g., usability testing, observation, in-depth interviews, surveys, etc)
- Experience working closely with design and product functions
- Fluency in best practices for user experience and user research
- Ability to communicate research findings in a clear way to different audiences using excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to think creatively and work collaboratively to find solutions in either ambiguous situations or within constraints.
- Ability to run a study and provide actionable recommendations quickly
- Organized, detail-oriented, and results-driven
- Experience working on regulated medical products
- Experience conducting user research on consumer health products
- Experience mentoring and leading researchers
- Experience conducting research on smartwatch and smartphone apps
- Experience running prototype software on mobile devices and remotely via video conference.
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $121,200 and $166,550 but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.