Title: Sr. Staff Infrastructure Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bixby is a next-generation virtual personal assistant, brought to you by the team that created Siri. Bixby provides a truly open platform that lets any developer extend its knowledge and capabilities. It operates at a scale that few companies can match.
We seek high energy engineers with a tactical trifecta of skills who will enjoy the challenges and rewards of making Bixby a household name. That’s where you come in. You are someone who enjoys writing dev tools and infra as code, be it imperative or declarative. You love to build highly optimized ops systems that empower our product teams to operate at peak velocity. You take a defense-in-depth approach to your craft, think about different attack vectors throughout your process, and don’t just tack security on at the end. Finally, you’re great at grokking complex situations, explaining trade-offs, and communicating your ideas to a diverse global team.
- Design, build, secure, and maintain clusters using EC2, ECS, Kubernetes, and others. To be effective at this, you need a strong working knowledge of Docker orchestration technology, and the kernel level constructs that make containers what they are, including union file systems. We’d like you to have opinions on single vs. multi-process containers, shared memory, and sidecars.
- You will work with the product teams to continuously improve observability, monitoring, and incident response. We’re pretty great at avoiding alert fatigue, and we’d like you to help us keep it that way.
- Join the fight to eliminate toil. This goes beyond automating all the things! Sure, if a machine could accomplish the task as well as an engineer, automate it. But occasionally you’ll find necessary tasks with no enduring value, and we want you to help us build high leverage systems that design that type of work away. In general, we believe that if a human operator has to touch our systems, we have a bug.
- Actively integrate security into the stack at all levels. Work with our security researchers, product engineers, and other teams to build a hardened platform that resists attack from internal and external vectors.
- Be an effective responder during production incidents. You must synthesize information gleaned from experience, logs, source code, and alerts to respond to production issues that may arise, and then help us engineer ways to avoid that problem in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / MS or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 12 plus years of experience with designing and operating cloud-based infrastructure.
- Application development experience in a language like Java.
- Experience with public cloud like AWS, Azure, GCP.
- Experience with container orchestration services including ECS or Kubernetes.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code. You are disciplined about avoiding awkward workarounds (we know, this is ops, but still), and know the value of engineering discipline.
- You integrate logging and monitoring as an integral part of the design, it’s not an afterthought.
- We regularly interface with globally distributed teams, therefore excellent communication is a key skill for this role. You may be asked to show us you can write great docs.
- You know when to leverage off-the-shelf tools, and when we need something custom.
- You have design and implementation experience with several infrastructure-as-code (IaC) tools. You can discuss at length tools like CloudFormation vs. Terraform vs. Pulumi. You should understand their tradeoffs, pitfalls, and ideally be able to talk about some battle scars from using them.
- You’ve used many of the DevOps staple technologies such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Datadog, Sumo Logic.
- You’ve used persistence layer tools like Postgres, MySQL, Elastic Search, Redis, Cassandra, etc.
- Bonus if you have a working knowledge of GitOps techniques and tools.
- Bonus for experience with service mesh and software defined networks such as Istio.
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $154,500 and $226,350 but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.