Title: Sr. Staff Engineer, Java backend-Platform
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: San Jose, CA
Bixby is a next-generation intelligent virtual personal assistant created for Samsung flagship devices and wearables. It uses Natural Language Understanding to perform tasks on these devices using voice/ text, including but not limited to making phone calls, sending text messages, setting up meetings, alarms, and timers, answering questions and much more. Bixby also provides a truly open platform that lets any developer extend its knowledge and capabilities by using the Bixby IDE.
In this technical and hands-on role, you will maintain, refine, and evolve our Java A.I. platform by collaborating closely with our diverse and global machine learning teams. In addition to being the brain of Bixby, by dynamically writing programs able to find an answer to our users’ questions, this platform also exposes a powerful layer for 3rd party developers to design, develop, debug, and train models used by our A.I. backend.
You will join and work closely with Bixby’s platform team on system design, prototyping, and eventual production-level implementation and deployment of an intelligent AI based system. You will share responsibility for the evolution of the above system including:
- Managing the codebase for our intelligent Bixby platform
- Building new micro services and enhancing existing ones
- Adding new platform support features for both internal and external consumers following software engineering best practices
- The syntax and semantics of the domain-specific language that 3rd party developers use to build experiences
- The compilers and static analysis tool chains for those DSLs.
- Build an effective system that translates a given command to meaningful executions
- Create a shared software platform to make it easier for supporting AI teams to add their latest state of the art solutions to the platform
- Improve and iterate existing internal software engineering best practices and workflows
Who are you?
- Professional background related to designing and implementing cloud based software systems
- You write code, love coding and even after years of experience, find writing code as your calling
- You are comfortable triaging and resolving high-priority or time-sensitive production issues by providing the right solution
- Based on your experience, you can recommend changes in architecture and adoption of new technologies to help improve the system
- You communicate well and work optimally with others, and have a strong work ethic
- Comfortable with high degrees of freedom and responsibility
- You like to innovate and be a step ahead of the competition
- You are not shy to recommend software engineering best practices and your technical opinions both within and across teams
- You are obsessed with the user and want to use your engineering skills to create a truly meaningful and delightful user experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / MS or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A senior engineer with 14+ years of experience in managing cloud based software systems and involved with full life cycle of a product
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field required, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Thorough understanding of enterprise class software architectures and technologies, including Cloud, Enterprise Architecture and Micro Services
- Have a thorough understanding of enterprise software in terms of architecture, scalability, security, reliability, redundancy, recovery, deployment and support
- Excellent Java programming skills
- Excellent software engineering skills: comfortable designing, writing, maintaining, and debugging truly production-quality code
- Experience with unit testing frameworks such as JUnit
- Expert at design patterns and Object-oriented programming
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and scalable architecture
- Ability to create self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
- Must have hands-on experience working with database engines such as MySQL and Postgres
- Experience with cloud services like AWS
- Good understanding of Elastic Search and streaming queues like Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker containers
- Experience with CI / CD platforms like Jenkins, Github actions and Circle CI
- Knowledge about deployment processes and writing bash scripts
- Passionate about our vision and want to collaborate with our team to build the next generation AI platform
- You believe that technical design and code reviews are essential parts of the software development process
- You don’t need to be convinced that Continuous Delivery is the only way to ship software
- You can hold a technical discussion with peer engineers as well as a user experience discussion with product owners
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $179,700 and $269,550 but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.