Title: Design Engineer– SDIC
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Design Lab: Samsung Design Innovation Center
Location: San Francisco, CA
Samsung Design Innovation Center, located in San Francisco, is opening a Computational Design Lab, reinventing the way we design products and manufacturing with computational design, AI an ML. In this new dynamic lab, we will solve inspirational and complex design problems to spark creativity, to optimize design concepts, and to design innovative products for the present and the future. The lab will engage with various internal teams across the world to create globally-impacting designs by collecting data, developing models, and applying computations.
We are looking for talented designers and creative technologists to join our group and bring new energy to our process. You should be ready to help at all stages of product design, from identifying unmet and latent needs, discovering new design opportunities, designing new product concepts to applying technology creatively to solve real user problems and create radically new experiences that re-imagine the way we interact with products.
Samsung Design Innovation Center is one of the leading overseas design studio in Samsung. Our mission is to understand people and lifestyles to deliver meaningful experiences, through beautiful yet functional design, enabled by innovative cutting-edge technologies.
The studio is working on various advanced product experiences which can shape the future of Samsung Businesses, working with various internal teams through experience-driven approach. Our work appears on smartphones, tablets, computers, televisions, wearables, and other devices we can’t describe yet. See some of our work at http://design.samsung.com/global/contents/sdic/
The Design Engineer will be responsible for employing working knowledge of product design and human factors, and helping to develop generative design concepts and models. You will concentrate on data-driven design processes, and support the Computational Design Lab in taking the next generation of products from concepts to production
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent practical experience and training
- Master’s or Doctoral preferred in a related field preferred
- 4+ years of experience in Architecture or Automotive or Industrial Design Engineering Sector (or relevant equivalent)
- Deep understanding of product development processes
- Strong understanding of design, modeling, and manufacturing constraints
- Expertise in Nurbs, SubD and mesh modeling
- Experience in computational simulations and developing test methods
- Working knowledge of embedded electronics
- Deep materials and manufacturing processes knowledge
- Reverse Engineering experience is a plus
- Time management skills, attention to detail, and ability to think and act strategically and proactively
- Strong visual story-telling and communication skills
- Self-driven, willing to act on launching novel projects ideas and developing concepts from scratch
- Travel International and Domestic and work overtime when needed
- 3D scanning and digital reconstruction methods implication to design process
- 3D surface and solid modeling
- Human-centered design processes establishment by employing tools to support the data-driven process
- Work in harmony with the Computational Designers to develop concepts and parametric models
- CAD operations, automation, and simulation of product designs
Be Bold. Resonate with Soul.
SDIC drives innovation and creates disruptive user experiences. From ideation to prototype to final product launch to market, the team is in charge of all product development phases. SDIC also leads and envisions future concepts, and develops products, technologies, and ecosystem of services for these concepts.
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records.
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $135,800 and $186,650, but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.