Title: Creative Technologist– SDIC
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Design Lab: Samsung Design Innovation Center
Location: San Francisco, CA
Samsung Design Innovation Center, located in San Francisco, is opening a Computational Design Lab, reinventing the way we design products and manufacturing with computational design, AI an ML. In this new dynamic lab, we will solve inspirational and complex design problems to spark creativity, to optimize design concepts, and to design innovative products for the present and the future. The lab will engage with various internal teams across the world to create globally impacting designs by collecting data, developing models, and applying computations.
We are looking for talented designers and creative technologists to join our group and bring new energy to our process. You should be ready to help at all stages of product design, from identifying unmet and latent needs, discovering new design opportunities, designing new product concepts to applying technology creatively to solve real user problems and create radically new experiences that re-imagine the way we interact with products.
Samsung Design Innovation Center is one of the leading overseas design studios in Samsung. Our mission is to understand people and lifestyles to deliver meaningful experiences, through beautiful yet functional design, enabled by innovative cutting-edge technologies.
The studio is working on various advanced product experiences which can shape the future of Samsung Businesses, working with various internal teams through experience-driven approach. Our work appears on smartphones, tablets, computers, televisions, wearables, and other devices we can’t describe yet. See some of our work at http://design.samsung.com/global/contents/sdic/
The Creative Technologist understands modern technology and thinks creatively about how to use the technology in an innovative way that helps resolve human needs. You will have a creative design approach to expand and discover problems and solutions rather than converging to one specific solution. You will be required to be hands-on in many different areas within the design lab (e.g. serving as a product and/or project manager and SW architect when necessary) to identify behavioral shifts, developing trends, user sentiments and reflect your discoveries to develop products that offer novel experiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree/Master’s Degree majoring in Product Design/Design Engineering, SW and HW, Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience)
- 8+ years’ experience in designing and building embedded devices, mobile, web, cloud-based applications or equivalent
- Strong understanding of design thinking, design principles, and experience design best practices and their applications
- Understanding in data collection and data to design processes
- Creative approach and competency to design and manufacture while being consumer-minded
- Knowledge of current design software and techniques in both 2D and 3D and experience in tools for integrating new technology into a digital product solution with SW/HW product requirements
- Experience working with manufacturers to produce accurate BOM costs for production based on CAD data
- Identify new opportunities and business value for UX innovation and differentiation with technology enablers
- Broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of comprehensive software systems, as well as demonstrated experience of successfully planning, organizing and conducting software development projects in a dynamic or startup environment
- Develop new techniques and processes to audit technologies
- Hands-on approach, flexible & agile, and comfortable experimenting with a fresh, original perspective
- Strong visual story-telling and communication skills
- Self-driven, willing to take action on launching novel projects ideas and developing concepts from scratch
- Travel International and Domestic and work overtime when needed
- Define new product platforms, architectures, strategies to architect and develop the best technical design approach and development of digital solutions and products while working closely with all aspects of the organization including management, engineers, UX/UI designers, programmers, SW quality etc.
- Drive platform research and experimentation, concept exploration, prototyping, and ideation within the creative process for crafting user experiences in software and services delivered through modern web technologies
- Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications
- Strengthen partnerships with internal stakeholders, team, and the business as you identify targets and strategic areas of growth
- Bridge the gap between design and technology by providing technical direction throughout the design process to facilitate innovation
- Lead prototyping of new concepts in both physical and digital design
- Work with User Interaction Workflow providing input into User Experience design
- Communicate with other design and business functions, have excellent presentation skills, and participate as an active member in creative workshops and ideation sessions
- Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to Team /Stakeholders/Management
- Have a differentiated point of view and innovative thinking on a variety of product categories to inspire colleagues
- Contribute to team development (at times making vital considerations for the team versus individual)
Be Bold. Resonate with Soul.
SDIC drives innovation and creates disruptive user experiences. From ideation to prototype to final product launch to market, the team is in charge of all product development phases. SDIC also leads and envisions future concepts, and develops products, technologies, and ecosystem of services for these concepts.
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The base pay range for roles at this level is $153,300 and $210,550, but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the base pay range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training. This is part of our comprehensive compensation package with annual bonus eligibility and generous benefits to help you live life well.
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Employee Purchase Program, Tuition Assistance (after 6 months), Paid Time Off, Student Loan Program (after 6 months), Wellness Incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.