Title: Mobile Deep Learning Imaging Research Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America
Location: Plano, TX
Mobile Processor Innovation Lab, Samsung Research America
Mobile Processor Innovation (MPI) Lab, Samsung Research America, serves research and development needs for Mobile Communications Business of Samsung Electronics, which leads the global market with innovative technology and design, launching breakthrough products like the Galaxy Fold series, Galaxy Note series, and the Galaxy S series of mobile phones. Our team works hard to create and develop next-generation technologies in the pursuit of continued success as the world’s number one handset provider.
Mobile Processor Innovation (MPI) Lab is looking to fill a position in the Deep Learning Imaging R&D role, with the goal of advancing user experience differentiations in Samsung Galaxy mobile camera. As a Deep Learning Expert you will be in charge of inventing cutting edge deep learning model that significantly enhance the mobile camera photography experience such as low light photography, under display camera, AI enhanced photography, and etc. You will also work on demonstrating efficient implementations on upcoming Galaxy mobile platforms by using the hardware’s resources in new and creative ways. You will work with worldwide team to develop product quality solution, and make business impact by delivering the solution in Galaxy flagship smartphones.
- Identify areas of differentiation and innovation on camera user experience using, deep learning principles
- Prototype algorithms on PC and embedded platforms
- Understand constraints of mobile platform and use that understanding to deliver feasible and efficient deep learning model to achieve the world best photography experience
- Write high quality prototype code that can easily be integrated into production system SW by worldwide teams
- MS/Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in computational imaging.
- Good understanding of and experience with camera systems on mobile platforms in the following areas: multi-frame-multi-camera computational imaging systems, deep learning, synthetic data generation pipeline
- Acute understanding of camera quality and user experience, a keen eye for image quality, and a passion for continuous improvement is a must-have attribute
- Hands-on experience with embedded implementation of deep-learning algorithm
- Experience in optimizing deep learning network on mobile platform.
- Understanding of AP and mobile industry and related technical trends on NPU is a plus
- Strong communication skills for effective interactions with R&D management as well as peer groups and team members
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong deep learning and machine learning background in image processing and computational imaging
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Familiarity with smartphone and other mobile product development
- Understanding of inertial sensors and their use for computational imaging is a plus
- Experience with Android, especially in building image processing / computer vision apps is a plus
- Understanding of HLOS layers, Multimedia SW frameworks and compute paradigms is a plus
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.