Title: Senior Research Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Digital Health Lab (DHL)
Location: Mountain View, CA
At Digital Health Lab in Samsung Research America, we are laser-focused to transform how health and healthcare are delivered. We collaborate with top healthcare industry partners to leverage technology and design thinking to address some of healthcare’s toughest challenges, from improving care and producing better outcomes, to reducing cost, expanding access, and engaging patients.
Our multi-disciplinary team focuses on building solutions and enabling healthcare-as-a-service for partner organizations. Our work encompasses the entire range of processes, from ideation, developing, incubating, and launching products. Our portfolio of digital health solutions is an important addition to various aspects of clinical care across many disease states including: cardiovascular, cancer, pulmonary, orthopedics, physical medicine, and chronic illnesses like diabetes, obesity, depression, anxiety, hypertension, etc.
We utilize mobile, wearable, virtual reality, and advanced sensor technology to capture physiologic responses; we create mobile applications to support patient self-management and physician decision-making; we leverage data analytics to supplement clinical care and help patients with their health to facilitate behavioral changes in their daily lives.
Samsung Research America Digital Health Lab is looking for an outstanding Ph.D.-level Research Engineer with a strong track record of success in academic and/or industrial settings to play a key role in delivering innovation in the digital health domain to create technologies and intellectual properties, deployment and validation novel technologies, and transfer the mature outcomes to production and/or scientific publication in top-tier computing venues. We expect candidates who have solid data analytics skills and project experiences in mobile health systems and wearable computing.
You will lead the development of innovative ideas and algorithms based on noisy signals from sensors including, but not limited to, light, audio, physiological, and inertial sensor data collected both in lab and field settings. You will prepare proof-of-concept, demo/prototypes, design and execute pilot studies with mobile sensors, generate patents and scientific research papers for top-tier publications. You will be a core part of a passionate team charged with developing, incubating, and launching a portfolio of digital health product concepts that will disrupt the healthcare paradigm. By leveraging smartphones, wearables, embedded devices, and the IoT in the health/wellness domain, your work will significantly benefit real-world patients, seniors, physicians, and caregivers. Samsung’s unique advantage in the consumer electronics market and growing focus on digital health will provide you with exciting technical challenges and a rewarding career experience.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biophysics, Mathematics, health sciences, or related areas
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in Image Processing, Machine Learning, Signal Processing, and their applications on mobile sensor data collected in the lab and the wild
- Experience in one or more of the following programming languages: Python, Java, Android, MATLAB, R
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, ability to present complex information (in an understandable and compelling manner), and comfortable working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Publications in top-tier computing venues such as EMBC, KDD, BSN/BHI, UbiComp, CHI
- Product development and prototyping experience to implement and validate solutions
- Experience in designing and conducting studies of wearable devices or clinical trials with human subjects both in lab and field settings
- Good understanding of human physiology, noninvasive sensors used to measure digital biomarkers for health and behavior monitoring
- Working experience with optoelectronics sensors and data analysis
- Experience in embedded systems development and performance analysis
- Previous experience developing algorithms in healthcare research/industry using EMR/EHR and wearable sensor data
- Have a working knowledge of the healthcare industry and experience curating and analyzing healthcare and wellness data
- Proficiency in the Android/Tizen/iOS development environment with the ability to create fully working prototypes
- Experience in collaborating on software implementations of algorithms and computing models with client and cloud engineers
- Understanding of human factors, usability, and comfort with wearable sensors.
- Experience operating under HIPAA is a plus
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.