Title: Research Engineer – Computer Vision/Deep Learning - NEON (Remote in the United States Negotiable)
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View, CA (Remote in the United States Negotiable)
We are NEON, a subsidiary of Samsung dedicated to creating Artificial Humans who interact with you in ways indistinguishable from the real world. Our NEONs (Neo humaNs) draw inspiration from the most natural of interfaces: interaction with another human being. Bringing together a world-class R&D team of researchers, developers, and engineers, that are building production technology at the cutting edge of artificial intelligence, machine learning, real-time computing, conversational agents, computer graphics, design, and more.
NEONs hold the potential to advance our digital world while preserving the elements of human interaction that are meaningful to all of us. If you share that dream – if you want to make the visions you saw in Her, Blade Runner, and more into tangible reality – and are passionate about taking such ideas into handcrafted renderings, we would love to hear from you!
We are seeking collaborative and result-oriented research engineers with both strong experience and a keen interest in taking fundamental research into new product innovation. We expect our machine learning engineers to understand state-of-the-art research and apply it to solve deep technical challenges by distilling research insights into application. As part of our team, you will both conduct experiments and play a key role in developing and scaling the technology for a wide user base. Our team is based in Mountain View, California. However, remote work is negotiable for this position!
- Design and implement novel algorithms in the emerging area of artificial humans.
- Efficiently design and conduct experiments to validate these algorithms as it applies to product goals.
- Collaborate with researchers, other developers, and the product team to take research ideas into well-thought-out product features.
- Collect and curate training data, train deep learning models, and optimize them for deployment.
- Be a champion of engineering excellence in ML research and propose systematic changes to achieve it.
- Master’s or Ph.D. (in Computer Science or a related field) or equivalent industry experience with domain expertise in Computer Vision, Computer Graphics, High-Performance Computing (HPC), NLP, or Machine Learning.
- Ability to write efficient, clean, and reusable code in Python and/or C++.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, code reviews, version control, and testing.
- Prior experience in developing a product based on machine learning research or equivalent contributions to an open-source project is a huge plus.
- Fluent in one of the popular Deep Learning frameworks such as Pytorch or TensorFlow
A Little Extra!
- Hands-on expertise in one or more of these areas:
- Modeling, analyzing, and synthesizing human emotions, behavior, expressions, or gestures
- Geometric computer vision, object or scene understanding, multi-view geometry
- Capture, estimation, and tracking of human facial expressions or body shape & pose
- Generative modeling for images and videos, human face and gesture modeling, neural rendering, or related techniques
- Deep learning model optimization techniques such as, model distillation or TensorRT
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.