Title: Java Backend Engineer - Platform
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bixby is a next-generation virtual personal assistant, brought to you by the team that created Siri. Bixby provides a truly open platform that lets any developer extend its knowledge and capabilities.
In this role, you will maintain, refine, and evolve our Java A.I. platform. In addition to being the brain of Bixby, by dynamically writing programs able to find an answer to our users’ questions, this platform also exposes a powerful layer for 3rd party developers to design, develop, debug, and train models used by our A.I. backend.
You will join and work closely with Bixby’s platform team on the design, prototyping, and eventual production-level implementation and deployment of this system. You will share responsibility for the evolution of the representation and infrastructure, including:
- The syntax and semantics of the domain-specific language that 3rd party developers use to build experiences
- The compilers and static analysis tool chains for those DSLs.
Along with the technical experience requirements, strong candidates will also have the following characteristics:
- Professional background related to designing backend software systems.
- You communicate well and work optimally with others, and have a strong work ethic.
- Comfortable with high degrees of freedom and responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field required, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Excellent Java programming skills
- Excellent software engineering skills: comfortable designing, writing, maintaining, and debugging truly production-quality code
- Enjoy writing sophisticated, maintainable, and readable code
- Experience with unit testing frameworks such as JUnit
- Expert at design patterns and Object-oriented programming
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and scalable architecture
- Ability to create self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
- Must have hands-on experience working with database engines such as MySQL and Postgres
- Experience with cloud services like AWS and Azure
- Good understanding of Elastic Search and streaming queues like Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Experience with microservices and architecture
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker containers
- Experience with CI / CD platforms like Jenkins
- Knowledge about DevOps processes
- Passionate about our vision and want to collaborate with our team to build the next generation AI platform
- You believe that technical design and code reviews are essential parts of the software development process
- You don’t need to be convinced that Continuous Delivery is the only way to ship software
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.