Title: DevOps Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bixby is a next-generation virtual personal assistant, brought to you by the team that created Siri. Bixby provides a truly open platform that lets any developer extend its knowledge and capabilities.
- Build, secure, and maintain clusters using EC2, ECS, Kubernetes, and others. To be effective at this, you need a strong working knowledge of Docker orchestration technology, and the kernel level constructs that make containers what they are, including union file systems. We’d like you to have opinions on single vs. multi-process containers, shared memory, and sidecars.
- You will work with the product teams to continuously improve observability, monitoring, and incident response. We’re pretty great at avoiding alert fatigue, and we’d like you to help us keep it that way.
- Join the fight to eliminate toil. This goes beyond automating all the things! Sure, if a machine could accomplish the task as well as an engineer, automate it. But occasionally you’ll find necessary tasks with no enduring value, and we want you to help us build high leverage systems that design that type of work away. In general, we believe that if a human operator has to touch our systems, we have a bug.
- Actively integrate security into the stack at all levels. Work with our security researchers, product engineers, and other teams to build a hardened platform that resists attack from internal and external vectors.
- Be an effective responder during production incidents. You must synthesize information gleaned from experience, logs, source code, and alerts to respond to production issues that may arise, and then help us engineer ways to avoid that problem in the future
- Significant past experience in both software engineering and cloud-based ops, such as DevOps, SRE, or Operations Engineer roles.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code. You are disciplined about avoiding awkward workarounds (we know, this is ops, but still), and know the value of engineering discipline.
- We regularly interface with globally distributed teams, therefore excellent communication is a key skill for this role. You may be asked to show us you can write great docs.
- You know when to leverage off-the-shelf tools, and when we need something custom.
- You have experience and opinions about various infrastructure-as-code tools. You can discuss at length tools like Boto3 vs. Terraform vs. Pulumi. You should understand their tradeoffs, pitfalls, and ideally be able to talk about some battle scars from using them.
- You’ve used many of the DevOps staple technologies such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Datadog, Sumo Logic.
- You’ve used persistence layer tools like Postgres, MySQL, Elastic Search, Redis, Cassandra, etc.
- Bonus if you have a working knowledge of GitOps techniques and tools.
- Bonus for experience with service mesh and software defined networks such as istio.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.