Title: IoT Standards Research Engineer - all levels
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Standards and 5G Mobility Innovation Team
Locations: Plano, TX, Mountain View, CA - remote
Lab Summary: The Standards & 5G Mobility Innovation team is committed to developing technologies that enable ubiquitous access to information and provide immersive multimedia experiences for mobility users. Our research focuses on:
- Wireless standards and technology including 5G, 6G, and associated verticals
- RF & fast prototyping of 5G wireless systems
- Multimedia standards and technology including VR, HDR, All-IP delivery
- Connectivity standards and technology including accurate short distance ranging, IoT, and vehicular connectivity.
Position Summary: The candidate will join Samsung’s team on connectivity standardization. The primary responsibility will be on the definition, design, and standardization of technologies pertinent to the Internet of Things, focusing at application layers above IP. The candidate will directly participate in cross-functional design activities related to ongoing IoT standardization and connectivity items and on developing corresponding innovative solutions. The candidate is expected to demonstrate an understanding of the business implications of the technology, and to work with business units and development teams in generating technical contributions related to IoT, including but not limited to: security considerations, discovery and device onboarding, and data modeling for IoT devices. The ability to persuasively articulate company positions and compromise with competing goals is imperative. A familiarity with the development of certification programs that are associated with technical standards and security would also be beneficial. The candidate also is expected to participate in standards meetings to promote associated designs over the span of up to a week, as such meetings are scheduled. The ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of their time (post COVID) is expected.
- Solid knowledge of the design of service related standards over IP across transport, messaging, security/encryption, and data modeling/representation layers. Prior participation in IoT or connected device standardization activities is preferred but not required.
- Participation in open international Standards Development Organizations, and/or related consortia and alliances. Familiarity with common standards development processes and procedures. Having held leadership roles is a plus.
- Ability to generate technical submissions for the target standard
- Familiarity with Python, Github, and other tools is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know