Title: Senior Interaction Designer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Experience and Insight Lab
Location: San Francisco, CA
Consumer-led innovation teams have been established in different divisions and regions across the world and are at the forefront of innovation and new value creation within Samsung Electronics. These teams aim at realizing the vision of Samsung Electronics for a new age in technology: the Age of Experience. The Age of Experience will be defined by personalized technology that meets the needs of the consumers.
The Experience & Insight Lab (E&I Lab) is housed within Samsung Research, the advanced Research and Development (R&D) hub of Samsung Electronics’ SET (End-products) Business which includes Consumer Electronics (CE) Division and IT & Mobile Communications (IM) Division. This R&D hub leads the development of future technologies. The E&I Lab is a worldwide entity comprising a global team headquartered in Korea and local teams, including a team based at Samsung Research America in California.
The role of the E&I Lab is to design new service concepts that can harness the R&D capabilities of Samsung Research via a “Consumer-led” approach, starting with consumer values, behaviors and aspirations. Ultimately, the E&I Lab will incubate new services that provide customers with innovative new experiences and create future business opportunities for Samsung Electronics over the next few years.
The role of the Senior Interaction designer is to understand how people use products, system or services and then create desired user experiences.
The Interaction designer understands all the touch-points and is capable to use the research insights to create customer centric solutions defining working principles for UX, products, services and technologies.
- Strong ability to understand users’ behaviors and interactions with products and services
- Strong HCI (human computer interaction) skills
- Systematic thinking, fluent in visual design tools and prototyping tools
- Ability to convey concepts through wireframes, flows and mockups
- Ability to create compelling products solutions based on the deep understanding of people and their behaviors
- Strong understanding of design thinking
- Bachelor’s degree majoring in Design, HCI, Product Management, Engineering, Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree is a strong plus.
- Strong understanding of design principles and experience design best practices and their applications
- 5+ years’ experience in product engineering or consulting roles
- Ability to drive platform research and experimentation, concept exploration, prototyping, and ideation within the creative process for designing user experiences in software and services delivered through modern web technologies
- Ability to identify new opportunities and business value for UX innovation and differentiation with technology enablers
- Good understanding to bridge the gap between design and technology by providing technical guidance during the design process to facilitate innovation
Tools and Essential Soft Skills
- Experience with interaction framing, task flow, Information architecture and other design-related S/W (Sketching, Protopie, Figma, Framer, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Excellent hand-on skills for creating presentation with market analysis competitive research skills
- Global lifestyle research experience with strong socio cultural trends knowledge
- Ability to participate as an active member in creative workshops and ideation sessions
- Hands-on approach, flexible attitude and are comfortable experimenting with new ways of working
- Willing to work in a flat organization where hierarchy is not overtly felt
- Ability to manage an individual in terms of mentorship and career path
- Ability to retain relationships with our internal stakeholders. The creation and maintenance of productive relationships with both the team and the business through the identification of strategic aims and areas to grow
- Track record of developing new techniques and processes to audit technologies
- Ideally experience of the consumer electronics market but this is not mandatory
- Also desirable to have project and agency management experience
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records.