Title: Senior Data Strategist/Designer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Experience and Insight Lab
Location: San Francisco, CA
Consumer-led innovation teams have been established in different divisions and regions across the world and are at the forefront of innovation and new value creation within Samsung Electronics. These teams aim at realizing the vision of Samsung Electronics for a new age in technology: the Age of Experience. The Age of Experience will be defined by personalized technology that meets the needs of the consumers.
The Experience & Insight Lab (E&I Lab) is housed within Samsung Research, the advanced Research and Development (R&D) hub of Samsung Electronics’ SET (End-products) Business which includes Consumer Electronics (CE) Division and IT & Mobile Communications (IM) Division. This R&D hub leads the development of future technologies. The E&I Lab is a worldwide entity comprising a global team headquartered in Korea and local teams, including a team based at Samsung Research America in California.
The role of the E&I Lab is to design new service concepts that can harness the R&D capabilities of Samsung Research via a “Consumer-led” approach, starting with consumer values, behaviors and aspirations. Ultimately, the E&I Lab will incubate new services that provide customers with innovative new experiences and create future business opportunities for Samsung Electronics over the next few years.
Today’s successful products take the full advantage of AI and machine learning to provide truly personalized experiences to the end users. A senior data strategist will work closely with designers, technologists, and business strategists to design the right data framework to extract insights as well as design a system to collect and apply the data to the product that evolves over time.
- Design user experiences with data
- Solve business problems through undirected research and framing open-ended industry questions
- Make strategic recommendations on data collection, integration and retention requirements incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices
- Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple real-time decision systems
- Work with data and qualitative insight, through collaboration with frontline staff, managers, and the public to design solutions and strategic propositions
- Understand and articulate clearly how services need to change from a user-centered, system, and business perspectives
- Map the service experiences of users, and define how organizations need to change what and how they deliver these experiences in a more effective way
- Work closely with user researchers to define and communicate people’s needs
- Identify how organizations can reduce cost of delivery and improve outcomes through re-design of user experience, business processes, and better collaboration across systems
- Strong understanding of design thinking
- Bachelor’s degree majoring in Engineering, Information Science, HCI, Design, Product Management, Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree is a strong plus.
- 5+ years’ experience in product engineering or consulting roles
- Working experience in consumer big data strategy
- Strong understanding of design principles and experience design best practices and their applications
- Planning, strategic planning and/or related communications experience within an integrated, digital or social agency environment
- Experience with Active and communicative community of researches, planners, statisticians, and engineers
Tools and Essential Soft Skills
- Strong basic hands-on ability of traditional forms of data analysis/spreadsheet applications
- Statistical Analysis Tools for statistical analysis, modeling, and hypothesis testing
- Data modelling and analyzing tools
- Any other kinds of industry-specific analytics tools for customer, brand, employee, and product
- Hands-on approach, flexible attitude and are comfortable experimenting with new ways of working
- Willing to work in a flat organization where hierarchy is not overtly felt
- Ability to manage an individual in terms of mentorship and career path
- Ability to retain relationships with our internal stakeholders. The creation and maintenance of productive relationships with both the team and the business through the identification of strategic aims and areas to grow
- Track record of developing new techniques and processes to audit technologies
- Ideally experience of the consumer electronics market but this is not mandatory
- Also desirable to have project and agency management experience
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records.