Title: AI/ML Research Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Artificial Intelligence Center
Location: Montreal, Canada
Samsung is working towards a vision of providing world-class AI services on its industry-leading hardware platforms like the Galaxy phones, telecommunications infrastructure, and home appliances like the smart refrigerators and TVs, smart washers and dryers, etc. Real-time AI services on these connected devices will enable users to interact with devices more naturally via spoken dialog, visual interaction, continuous learning, and big data analysis.
Our researchers and engineers at Samsung Research and Samsung Research America (SRA), located around North America and around the globe, are working hard towards making the Samsung’s vision a reality. We are looking for candidates with expertise in AI, robotics, telecommunications, reinforcement learning, computer vision, large scale data analysis, statistical analysis, deep learning to join us. You will work with a team of research scientists and engineers tackling real-world problems involving Samsung’s Artificial Intelligence initiatives. You will also have the opportunity to publish at top-tier scientific conferences.
Samsung Research Montreal AI Center is building a world-class team of researchers and engineers to enable leverage and enhance modern telecommunications (e.g. 5G and 6G) systems and also to develop robots to robustly perform navigation and manipulation tasks in unstructured human environments to support tasks within assistive, telepresence, and creative domains. The lab focuses on both telecommunications and robotics projects, but there is significant crossover between the applications and sub-domains. As such, the position requires a broad perspective, the ability to work as part of a team, and a flexible approach to problem synthesis and solution generation.
The work will touch on various aspects of algorithm and system development including, communication systems modeling, simulation, perception, reinforcement learning, planning and control, human interaction, and methods that tie these together. Our mandate includes the publication of original research, the development of novel intellectual property, and the creation of exciting new software systems with practical relevance
- Develop and integrate software for robotic systems and/or 5G/6G infrastructure
- Deploy and test algorithms on real hardware and simulations
- Develop algorithms and tools to work on real-world systems
- Develop tools to enable collaboration with AI teams
- Communicate with team members to understand development needs for projects
- Leverage the deep research work and findings to develop and program integrated software algorithms to solve real-world problems
- Analyze and leverage research data in product and systems applications in both structured and unstructured environments.
- Develop and communicate descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive insights/algorithms
- Translate mathematical and algorithmic problem specifications into efficient deployable code
- Develop and propose new project ideas
- Write scientific papers for publication and patents
- Engage with Samsung business units to develop new ideas that can have business impact
- PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related fields, with AI, Machine Learning, Robotics, Networking and Communications as backgrounds.
- Hands-on experience developing software for robotic/communications systems in C++ and Python
- Experience writing and publishing scientific/engineering papers for high-quality peer reviewed venues
- Substantial experience with machine learning and AI, including a solid publication record
- Experience building robotics systems (hardware and software) is an asset.
- Experience with telecommunications, especially at the systems level, is an asset.
- Experience in leveraging machine learning and AI for robotics/communications with a strong familiarity with machine learning tools such as Pytorch, TensorFlow, ROS, OpenCV
- Excellent in-personal and communication skills
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.