Staff Software Engineer – C++ and Optimization
Location: Campbell, CA
STAR Labs (Samsung Technology & Advanced Research Labs) is headed by Pranav Mistry with a mission to undertake independent initiatives to create end-to-end new businesses and expand growth areas for Samsung. At STAR Labs, we are building new immersive and intelligent services that is making science fiction a reality. STAR Labs consists of best of the best from domains such as computer science, business strategy, engineering, design; and diverse set of experiences from places like MIT, Stanford, Oxford, CMU, Nasa, Google, Microsoft and many more. NEON is a venture from STAR Labs (http://neon.life)
The team builds upon their outstanding track record of creating products that have real-world impact at global scale. We are rapidly expanding and is looking for the best to join and help us build foundation for our next magical technology stack. We value our differences and are excited to learn what you can add to STAR Labs.
- Collaborate within the team across product, design, product, infrastructure, strategy, and engineering.
- Mentor, learn and share knowledge with others along the way.
- Have impact and have fun
- Working outside your comfort zone
- Be a key member of the staff in contributing to the design and development of our proprietary technology stack in C/C++/Python
- Translate broad specifications into high quality sustainable software
- Lead and undertake design activities to architect various key modules in the infrastructure
- Create and optimize core parallel algorithms and design data flows and structures to provide the best solutions for our API and batch product suite.
- Be responsible for developing and testing performance critical components of the system and collaborate closely with team members designing software to find the best system-level solutions.
- Continuously improve and guide the team to improve processes and efficiently utilitize resources from long term perspective
- BS, MS or PhD from leading university in Computer Science and/or 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing C/C++ software, including modern C/C++ (C++11/14) and multithreading, resource management and compute graph optimization
- 3 years of experience developing in C/C++ on medium to large size development teams in industry or research.
- Experience with systems level development, socket programming, and low-level I/O.
- Knowledge of and experience using toolchains, build systems, development tools and platform APIs.
- Strong knowledge of OOP, data structures, algorithms and operating systems.
- Ability to independently understand complex problems and devise efficient, robust solutions on multiple platforms (Windows and Linux).
- Experience with parallel programming, e.g. MPI, OpenMP, or CUDA.
- Experience with one or more scripting languages, (e.g. Bash, Python)
- Previous experience of scaling up and optimizing HPC, computer vision or deep learning training pipelines is a major plus.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace