Senior Media Streaming Engineer
Location: Campbell, CA
Start Date: Immediate
STAR Labs (Samsung Technology & Advanced Research Labs) is headed by Pranav Mistry with a mission to undertake independent initiatives to create new end-to-end businesses and expand growth areas for Samsung. At STAR Labs, we are building new immersive and intelligent services that are making science fiction a reality. STAR Labs consists of best of the best from domains such as computer science, business strategy, engineering, design; and diverse set of experiences from places like MIT, Stanford, Oxford, CMU, Nasa, Google, Microsoft and many more. NEON is a venture from STAR Labs (http://neon.life)
The team builds upon their outstanding track record of creating products that have real-world impact at global scale. We are rapidly expanding and looking for the best to join and help us build foundations for our next magical technology stack. We value our differences and are excited to learn what you can add to STAR Labs.
- Collaborate within the team across product, design, product, infrastructure, strategy and engineering.
- Mentor, learn and share knowledge with others along the way.
- Have impact and have fun.
- Work outside your comfort zone.
- BS/MS in Computer Science and 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Strong C++ or Python programming skills.
- Experience shipping products is required.
- Experience with building and operating customer facing, cloud-based, production software systems.
- Experience with browser streaming protocols such as WebRTC, WebSockets, SSE. Knowledge of WebRTC implementations such as Kurento, Gstreamer plugins is a big plus.
- Experience with VoIP or media streaming technologies such as Audio/Video encoding/decoding/trans-coding, Video/Audio compression, RTP, RTCP, SIP, etc.
- Experience building and debugging complex, multi-threaded system software.
- Prior experience with embedded devices is a major plus.
- Working knowledge of media codecs, formats, transports and container protocols, such as MPEG-2, H.264/AVC, AAC, AC3, MP4, TS, etc.
- Deep knowledge and practical experience with building software on TCP and UDP networking APIs on Linux/BSD/MacOS.
- Familiarity with CDN architectures (caches, origin servers, proxies, etc).
- Experience in developing audio/video streaming servers or clients/players.
- Experience in AR/VR and 360 video.
As a senior media streaming engineer in this role, you will be responsible for developing features, contributing to media systems design, analyzing performance, and tuning algorithms for streaming media playback. You should have development experience at multiple layers of the OS network stack and have experience building network delivery systems for media content. You should have a strong passion for real-time communication and efficient, low latency, high quality media streaming.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace