Senior Corporate Finance Lead
Location: Campbell, CA
Start Date: Immediate
STAR Labs (Samsung Technology & Advanced Research Labs) is headed by Pranav Mistry with a mission to undertake independent initiatives to create end-to-end new businesses and expand growth areas for Samsung. At STAR Labs, we are building new immersive and intelligent services that feel like science fiction. STAR Labs consists of best of the best from domains such as computer science, business strategy, engineering, design; and diverse set of experiences from places like MIT, Stanford, Oxford, CMU, Nasa, Google, Microsoft and many more.
The team builds upon their outstanding track record of creating products that have real-world impact at a global scale. We are rapidly expanding and is looking for the best to join and help us build the foundation for our next magical technology stack. We value our differences and are excited to learn what you can add to STAR Labs.
The Senior Corporate Finance Lead will report to the CEO of Star labs as a part of the Strategy team. Under limited supervision, he or she will develop, maintain and monitor numerous valuation models for the company to ensure growth trajectory and revenue/valuation goals. He or she will take inputs and data points from all aspects of the operation of the company (R&D, Operations, Sales) to drive models that provide insight into the overall company valuation and make recommendations to improve processes and/or operations and/or sales tactics would increase valuation of the company.
Operating numerous valuation models will require broad knowledge of many methodologies that include DCF, Comparables, Purchase Price Ratio Analysis, Risk-adjusted NPV, the Venture Capital method, Berkus Method, and so on, as well as in-depth experience to run these models on an on-going basis. Furthermore, technical competence is required in order to properly assess the value of IP in all models.
He or she will need to understand the investment marketplace intimately and be aware of all relevant transactions for comparison and use in particular valuation models, as well as trends to understand the valuation/investor climate to optimize timing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform extensive due diligence, research, valuation analysis and financial modeling
- Prepare comprehensive investment/valuation thesis that clearly articulates investment/valuation strategies used by the market
- Develops, maintains, and monitors numerous internal valuation models
- Creates reports and internal presentations for management as well as dashboards for real-time review, making necessary changes to the system to improve reporting accuracy and efficiency
- Researches and identifies and evaluates comparable companies for use in valuation models
- Understands and factors in IP value and technology into valuation models
- Reviews business plans to find strengths and weaknesses to tune the company’s own business model
- Develops draft term sheets, investment deal negotiation points, and structuring for mock negotiations with potential interested parties
- Regularly reports out to management about relevant venture activities in the marketplace
- Performs other duties as assigned
Results to Achieve:
- Highly accurate valuation models that replicate what an external audit of valuation would produce
- Consistent identification of numerous new relevant companies as comparables and accurate and thoughtful evaluations
- Recommendations that improve overall valuation and optimize the market timing of any transaction which would elicit a valuation by a third party
- Clear communication of the above to management on a consistent basis
Experience -Pitch decks -Commercial Models -Business Cases -Startup ecosystem -Venture Capital fund raising -Global and Local Partnerships -Funding rounds Successful Startup exit would be preferred.
- Requires a Masters’ in Business Administration (MBA)
- 5-10 years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis and effectively applying results to form recommendations regarding possible valuation outcomes
- 2-5 years in-depth knowledge of SaaS technology preferred
- Strong knowledge of venture capital or merger and acquisitions (M&A) deal making is required, with hands-on experience creating pitch decks, commercial models, business cases
- Transactional experience preferred, with proven track record of venture capital fund raising, and/or successful startup acquisition and/or exit
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to independently evaluate and develop innovative solutions to complex situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong presentation skills
- Ability to communicate with internal and external customers on issues of considerable importance
- Excellent negotiation skills in order to lead high level issues that affect broad or multiple areas to resolution. Inspires trust in others. Serves as a role model in successful negotiation, uses influence in teaching others. Models win/win throughout the organization
- Strong project management skills including, the ability to define, prioritize, and direct program, project, or process objectives.
- Identify customers/stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, and to coordinate and allocate resources in order to accomplish goals and objectives in an effective and timely manner
- Ability to successfully transfer knowledge to less experienced professionals
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as business needs dictate
- Domestic and international travel will be required in this position
- Position may require travel domestically and to Asia and possibly Europe
- Average amount of travel will vary however, 1 week every two month is estimated
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace