This role is part of our People Ops team within the Samsung NEXT organization
About Samsung NEXT
Samsung NEXT champions builders and founders inventing a more purposeful future. We attract, develop, and celebrate diverse talent with world-class capacity to transform ideas into realities at scale. We prioritize experiences over things and are dedicated to thoughtfully integrating the physical and digital worlds… and we accelerate Samsung's vision to inspire the world!
Founded in 2012, Samsung NEXT has four key functions in the global software ecosystem:
- Venture - Investing in early-stage startups to help entrepreneurs build and scale their businesses.
- Partnerships - Helping startups successfully partner with a variety of Samsung business units.
- M&A - Acquiring startups to connect and scale with our businesses.
- Product - Building new software and services businesses at scale.
Samsung NEXT operates globally, with teams distributed around the world and physical offices currently in Korea, the San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Berlin, and Tel Aviv.
As the Head of People, you will add strategic value across the business by partnering with the executive team to proactively design HR programs and processes that align with the needs and culture of this incredibly outstanding and evolving business. You will lead all aspects of a global HR for the organization, including total rewards, talent acquisition, performance management, succession planning, organizational design, diversity, culture, and learning & development. In addition, this role will need to engage with all relevant Samsung entities and cultivate positive relationships and open communication that will set the stage for continued growth, collaboration, transparency, and innovation!
This role will report to our SVP, Finance and Corporate Development, Jacopo Lenzi and partner with the entire NEXT leadership team. There will be the opportunity for tremendous impact across all areas of the business and to work closely with David Eun, NEXT’s President and Samsung’s Chief Innovation Officer. You will manage a team of 8-9, plus global contractor resources and leverage broader Samsung HR shared resources (eg. payroll, benefits, global programs).
- Strategic Thought Partner – NEXT seeks the talent of the future and needs an HR executive that will help make NEXT a leader of the field. This leader will have a finger on the dynamic pulse of HR innovation, knowledgeable on both best practice and groundbreaking trends. They will serve as a partner and consultant to the business’s senior leaders on all talent issues, providing proactive solutions to NEXT’s People needs.
- Globally Minded Leader Adept at Leading Distributed Teams – Designing and implementing the people strategy for a robust and innovative distributed team. They will foster a people-centric environment that embraces collaboration and consistency across geographies. This includes, of course, building out and leveling up NEXT global HR team into an elite operation.
- A Leader in Attracting and Retaining Startup Talent – NEXT looks for talent that is a different profile from the broader Samsung. Their cutting edge innovations require talent that thinks outside of the box and NEXT needs a recruiting strategy that will engage, land, and retain the top talent in the Bay Area and worldwide. This leader will also be essential in leading HR-related M&A activities to ensure successful post-merger integration.
- Skilled Executive Coach – Coach and mentor leaders across NEXT to foster a high-performance culture that values transparency and change. They will collaborate closely with NEXT leadership to implement solutions that align with their mission, core values, and business strategy and help to drive these solutions down through managers.
- A Passion for Diversity & Inclusion - This HR leader will have a passion for diversity and will work to ensure that D&I is embedded into each aspect of the organization including business strategy, culture, vendor management, Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, and Total Rewards.
- Basic Qualifications
- At least 12 years of HR experience in tech and/or start-up environment, preferably with a mix of large and small companies
- Team management of 10+, across multiple locations
- Have led a human resources organization in either the top leadership role or the number two position.
- The right person will thrive in an "all hands on deck" environment, loves solving people problems and can pivot quickly
- Deep experience scaling global distributed teams and navigating complex organizational structures
- Strong eye for business and the ability to translate business strategy into HR initiatives
- Ability to provide valued consultation, build partnerships, coach and influence senior leadership team, playing the role of trusted advisor
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and able to use situational appropriate communication techniques including collaborating, influence, information sharing and negotiating on complex topics
- Demonstrated problem-solving experience
- Ability to handle ambiguity
- Additional Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience leading HR due diligence and post-merger integration activities
- Expertise and hands-on experience in a diverse set of human resource operational areas strongly preferred
- Undergraduate degree preferred; advanced degree a plus
- Experience working outside of the US
- Other business experience or roles not related to the People function
At Samsung NEXT, we hold the steadfast belief that diversity and inclusion is critical to realize our mission and is a must-have for us to do our best work. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.