Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
We are looking for talented students to join our Firmware Engineering teams! Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, Linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a Firmware Engineering Intern at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on millions of devices, and is deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle obstacles including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into isolated events.
Here are a few of our Firmware Engineering teams that are hiring interns this Summer. These Summer 2023 roles will be based in our San Francisco office.
- Safety Camera - The team works on our onboard dual-facing cameras that capture both the road and the driver to enable playback and ML-powered event detection.
- Vehicle Diagnostics - The team works on understanding how each customer vehicle behaves so that we can integrate deeply into the vehicle systems of a variety of passenger and heavy-duty trucks.
- Vehicle Gateways - The team works on connecting hundreds of thousands of our customer’s vehicles to the Samsara Cloud, providing real-time location, vehicle data, and connectivity for other Samsara devices in the vehicle.
- Connected Sites - The team works on capturing worksite activity and videos to automatically detect worker behavior, occupancy, and general safety.
We use C for our MCU-based platforms, Golang for embedded applications on Linux-based gateways and backend services, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and Python to do deep data analysis.
An ideal candidate also:
- Will complete a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field between Fall/Winter 2023 - Summer 2024
- Has previously built or worked on production applications
- Enjoys understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
- Will be available for 10-13 weeks in San Francisco starting in May/June
- Is a champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.