Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara’s embedded software team works across the two paradigms of new product development (system architecture, component selection, system bring up, development and launch) and continuous feature development (new function & features, improving performance, integrating peripherals, etc).
This role is based on our telematics embedded team which works on Samsara’s Vehicle Gateways, the highest volume product and backbone to Samsara’s business - providing the data and connectivity foundational to fleet and safety management.
Our Vehicle Gateways are Linux based platforms with cellular/wifi/bluetooth/GNSS radios that connect to vehicles’ diagnostics ports for real time telemetry and connect to an array of accessories. We are looking for expert embedded software engineers that have a broad set of experiences from working across the embedded software stack.
In this role, you will:
- Drive development of significant system components of our embedded systems
- Drive clear abstraction and API definition to enable independent component development and scalable testing
- Design and build infrastructure, tools and processes, systematically improving the development process, quality of code and time to release
- Communicate with customers, design the problem resolutions and implement them through coding
- Support technical product cycle for customers in the UK and Europe
- Work across a varied set of technologies include cellular (LTE), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS/GNSS, sensor fusion, vehicle communications and many more
- Grow as an engineer - Samsara devs are constantly learning. We’re an engineering-first organisation with plenty of room for progression
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 5+ years experience working in embedded environments (combination of bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux)
- Microcontroller programming skills, C/C++
- Experienced in complex multi-component/multi-firmware systems with multiple independent and dependent services
- Excellent programming/coding practices
An ideal candidate also has:
- CAN experience: Experience with OBD (passenger vehicles) or J1939 (heavy duty vehicles) is a bonus, but not essential
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.