Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara’s Product Engineering team owns our customer-facing products such as Telematics, Safety, and Connected Sites. We are looking for a Senior Staff Engineer to drive key architectural initiatives across these complex products. In this role, you will take on our hardest technical problems, leading design along with hands-on development. Our technologies span IoT, Cloud, Mobile, Machine Learning, and Computer Vision. You will be empowered to work across these technologies to build the right solutions that will stand the test of time. As a Senior Staff Engineer, you will be a technical leader. You’ll help establish standards and drive Samsara’s technical architecture and engineering practices.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the design, implementation, and deployment of high-scale systems in support of Samsara’s customers.
- Define architectures that ensure our software is highly available, scalable, secure, and maintainable.
- Decompose our complex problem space into simple, straightforward solutions.
- Share your knowledge across Samsara’s engineering community, assisting in the career growth of our developers.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 12+ years of relevant, broad engineering experience
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality systems
- Experience working on complex software development projects with significant bottom-line impact
- Technical leadership and credibility to guide a team of world class software engineers
- A passion for mentoring people and developing great talent
- Able to achieve results in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Able to balance technical leadership with sound business judgment
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
An ideal candidate also has:
- Proven track record leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality systems across multiple layers, including Mobile and Embedded Devices
- Advanced degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience building with AWS
- Experience in one or more of the following: Golang, React/React Native, Computer Vision, IoT
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.