Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
The Machine Learning Engineer will be a core technical contributor on the ML / CV team with deep expertise in building and deploying scalable machine learning. The ML Engineer will work closely with full-stack, firmware, and infrastructure / platform teams to build and deploy powerful computer vision features for our customers.
In this role, you will:
- Build and improve the accuracy of ML / CV models, including retraining and optimizing open-source models to solve Samsara-specific problems
- Shape Samsara’s big data into features for ML / CV models (e.g., using image data from our Dashcams to build models supporting advanced safety features)
- Build the backend or edge infrastructure to scale our training and inference workload, including training pipelines, evaluation, and model deployment
- Stay connected to industry and academic research and adopt novel technology that suits Samsara’s needs
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 2+ years experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or similar role
- Strong proficiency in common languages (e.g., Python, SQL) and tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, distributed training / inference with Spark) in the ML toolkit
- Experience building and deploying large-scale machine learning models with feedback loops for continuous improvement
- Experience building performant, distributed training and inference pipelines on very large datasets
- Comfortable with full-stack / backend development code to build a strong understanding of underlying data structures and other dependencies (For reference: We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app)
An ideal candidate also has:
- Preferred: Experience building, deploying, and optimizing ML models on the edge
- Preferred: Experience building computer vision features
- Preferred: MS / PhD in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, etc.)
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.