Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. Through our cloud dashboard and mobile app, customers gain real-time visibility and drive efficiencies into their commercial fleet and industrial center operations.
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Your team, the Telematics Firmware Team, is a cross product platform team that designs, develops and maintains the embedded software for Samsara’s vehicle gateway products. The technology stack includes system software running on the Linux operating systems. Your team will own system software design, vehicle diagnostics, while working closely with our hardware team to bring up new products.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of 5-10 engineers to deliver customer-driven solutions.
- Define, foster and support a consistent software development process.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship in embedded system development.
- Partner with Electrical Engineering to develop new products and enhance existing ones.
- Partner with the backend development team to deliver end to end features.
- Conduct regular 1-1s and give performance evaluations.
- Work with Product Management to prioritize feature development.
- Build roadmaps, engineering plans, and schedule estimates.
- Identify infrastructure and architectural investment needs.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 8+ years of experience in the embedded systems, with 3+ years of management experience
- Has experience in developing products on Linux operating system
- Has experience with wireless product development, ideally cellular
- Proficient in C/C++
- Understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration
- Experience developing individual contributors based on their needs and interests as well as the needs of the company
An ideal candidate also has:
- Worked in telematics, with CAN-bus experience
- Interest in understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Experience in Golang
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.