Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
The Principal Data Engineering Architect is responsible for driving Samsara’s data engineering and analytics capacity. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Business Technology, you will collaborate with a global team of engineers and business partners to understand core priorities, analyze current processes, and make recommendations around key technical decisions and strategy.
As a leader within the data engineering team, you will drive the core architecture of Samsara’s corporate data pipeline and warehouse, help curate a data analytics function, and design the organization’s enterprise data management framework. A typical day may include meeting with partners in finance and sales operations to discuss key performance indicator reporting, writing a specification document for a new data ETL process, or helping to diagnose a performance limitation that the engineering team is having issues resolving.
In this role, you will:
- Design and manage Samsara’s enterprise data management framework
- Drive core architectural decisions around ETL, data warehousing, analytics capabilities, and other critical infrastructure
- Collaborate closely with the enterprise integrations and product data teams on system design and service procurement
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Significant (10+ years) experience working in enterprise data management and data warehousing, including designing and optimizing large-scale systems
- Extensive experience with Google BigQuery and Databricks
- Deep understanding of analytics and visualization tools such as Tableau and Looker
- Experience providing technical leadership to engineering teams, including building out QA support functions, mentoring junior engineers, and conducting technical reviews and architectural design meetings
- Ability to interface with cross-functional partners in finance, accounting, sales operations, and related teams to understand business needs and deliver targeted solutions
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience with Mulesoft, Salesforce, Netsuite, or Workday
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.