Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our team.
Samsara’s platform supports industries that power our economy. From managing truck fleets, to dispatching emergency vehicles, to securing warehouses, our customers depend on us for their critical operations. As an engineer on the Infrastructure team, your goal will be to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and microservices that power Samsara’s platform. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Samsara and on our customers.
On this team, we seek to build foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly. We maintain a product we provide to the rest of engineering, like data storage, container orchestration, and real-time ingestion. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you helped build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improve our infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
In this role, you will:
- Develop software and tools for creating and managing hundreds of microservices and databases.
- Continuously improve our Observability stack and collaborate with product teams to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize performance.
- Build infrastructure to support the development of a highly available real-time streaming platform that collects data from Samsara’s connected devices.
- Debug and resolve production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience on infrastructure-focused teams
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals
- Experience working with web services deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS or Azure
An ideal candidate also has:
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Experience writing high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go).
- Experience building and using observability tools, frameworks, and standards.
- The ability to know your way around a UNIX shell and a Linux operating system.
- Interest in thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes.
- Collaboration skills working with developers of different focuses (frontend, mobile, firmware, vision, etc).
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.