Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
We are looking for talented data science and machine learning engineers to generate insights and draw value from the 2T+ sensor data points our sensors collect on an annual basis. Our Data Science team focuses on analyzing Samsara’s data at scale to build compelling features for our customers and improve the foundations of our platform through fundamental sensor algorithm development. Our Computer Vision team work on Samsara’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), using state-of-the art machine learning tasks to perform a variety of functions, including distracted driving detection, time-to-collision estimation, lane departure warning, and more. We are looking for interns to join both of these teams to work on high impact projects for the summer.
In this role, you will:
- Leveraging SQL or Python to shape and structure large, complex data sets for analysis
- Building statistical and machine learning models to identify patterns, anomalies, and root causes (e.g., analyzing sensor temperatures to spot unhealthy devices)
- Meeting with technical and non-technical stakeholders to understand data structures and determine business priorities
- Working with product and full-stack engineering teams to build data-powered features in our cloud dashboard
- Creating data visualizations and other summary output to support decision-making from operational and leadership teams
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Coursework in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.)
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, preferably in SQL or Python (e.g., using PySpark)
- Experience building statistical, machine learning, and other analytical models, preferably in Python (e.g., using TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Familiarity managing data science code via GitHub
- Comfortable reading and understanding full-stack development code (e.g., Go, Java, ReactJs) to understand data logging / instrumentation, or to build front-end data components
- Preferred: Some prior internship experience in data science or data engineering role
- Preferred: Experience implementing and optimizing machine learning models on very large datasets (1B+ records)
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks. Review all of Samsara's benefit programs at rewards.samsara.com.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.