Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
The Hardware Technician will be responsible for critical testing and troubleshooting of devices, including performing experiments to collect and analyze data. In addition, they will diagnose and help in root causing failures and non-conformance across all product lines. This will be a contract role with the potential for longer term employment.
In this role, you will:
- Perform incoming quality checks on production material.
- Evaluate test and field data to ensure product quality.
- Learn the ins and outs of most if not all Samsara hardware devices.
- Organize and test customer-returned hardware, using Samsara’s online dashboards to determine product health and drive failure analysis. Document results and communicate findings to stakeholders.
- Root-cause basic EE field failures using power supply, oscilloscope, multimeter, and basic bench equipment.
- Support EE team in more complex root-causing with soldering and device modifications.
- Support EE and FW teams in development of prototypes and electrical mock ups for new projects using available devices, tools, development kits. Coordinate hardware shipments to Samsara engineers and key partners.
- Set up testbeds for long-term product testing.
- Follow written instructions to use test jigs to retrieve firmware logs from device hardware.
- Work with engineers to define and execute tests, experiments and validation steps for new products.
- Assemble and/or rework prototype assemblies and wire harnesses. (Soldering, crimping etc.).
- Maintain the lab space and keep equipment operational and orderly.
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Ability to follow instructions well, read and understand procedures and wiring schematics
- Ability to use or learn a variety of test and measurement instruments (multimeter, logging power supplies, microscope, thermal chamber, optical)
- Small component soldering skills
- Detail oriented documentation skills (writing procedures/ documenting test results)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
An ideal candidate also has:
- AS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineer or other formal training preferred (trade schools, military technical schools etc.)
- Python/SQL/Command Line Programming skills are a plus
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks. Review all of Samsara's benefit programs at rewards.samsara.com.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.