Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
The team is responsible for working on the embedded software for the Samsara Safety products, which includes: vehicle cameras and sensors that perform AI analysis to recognize and coach drivers on unsafe situations. The candidate will be working on product firmware and will work closely with the full stack and other firmware engineers.
As a senior firmware engineer at Samsara, you’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
In this role, you will:
- Design an algorithm with fullstack and ML teams to reliably recognize when a driver has rolled a stop sign
- Build application logic that drives and works with ML models to identify risks of the road and alert drivers in real time
- Diagnose and debug the most memory efficient ways of running multiple services with shared code snippets on a constrained linux device
- Work with an algorithms team to port python sensor calibration code to firmware
- Build a framework to merge, tag, and timestamp data across multiple systems and processes
- Query our databases to understand how your algorithms are performing in the field
An ideal candidate:
- Has at least 6 years experience working in embedded Linux environments
- Has camera and or video technology experience
- Thrives on turning loosely scoped project needs into well defined SW and algorithmic patterns
- Enjoys diving into data analysis to find and solve complicated real world edge cases
- Enjoys rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback
- Is excited about sensors (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems
- Evaluates how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience
- Takes leadership on complex and open-ended algorithmic problems
- Architects and manages build and test procedures
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks. Review all of Samsara's benefit programs at rewards.samsara.com.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.