Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
We operate one of the largest AI-enabled, connected vehicle fleets in the world, with hundreds of thousands of connected AI cameras in our customers’ vehicle fleets. Samsara’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) rely heavily on state-of-the art machine learning tasks to perform a variety of functions, including distracted driving detection, time-to-collision estimation, lane departure warning, and more. Using a combination of proprietary Samsara data (1.6T+ sensor data points collected annually) along with open-source data sets and models, we are developing powerful ML features in both our cloud platform and on-the-edge to improve the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of our customers’ operations.
We are looking for an experienced ML engineer/scientist that can define our strategy for implementing, improving, and deploying these models. In this role, you will define innovative new CV features to improve driver safety, while collaborating across our organization to deploy the models in our constrained edge environments, optimizing for real-time performance, cost, and battery life. This will require novel research, tooling innovations, and platform solutions to continue to evolve our capabilities in this area.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US and Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Define the approach and roadmap for our CV capabilities to make driving safer
- Partner with our Camera HW teams to optimize for performance and cost
- Leverage supervised and unsupervised techniques to take advantage of our massive data set
- Productize new features, including measuring end-to-end performance, while improving accuracy, cost, and response-time
- Stay connected to industry and academic research and adopt novel technology that suits Samsara’s needs
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 10+ years experience as a Data Scientist, Applied Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or similar role
- PhD/MS in computer vision, ML, or related, or equivalent experience with CV problems
- Strong programming skills in common languages (e.g., Python, SQL) and tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, distributed training / inference with Spark) in the ML toolkit
- Experience building and deploying large-scale machine learning models with feedback loops for continuous improvement
- Experience building performant, distributed training and inference pipelines on very large datasets
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience building, deploying, and optimizing ML models on the edge
- Experience with perception algorithms in a real-time environment
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks. Review all of Samsara's benefit programs at rewards.samsara.com.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.