Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
The Senior Data Engineer will be a core technical contributor to Samsara’s data engineering team with deep expertise in creating and manipulating large, complex datasets that feed central data warehouses for Samsara’s data science, product, and engineering teams. The engineer’s primary focus will be on our machine learning and computer vision workflows, enabling the team to rapidly build and deploy robust ML models. The Data Engineer will be responsible for standing up and maintaining data pipelines, building computed tables and database structures, identifying data integrity issues, and data management at Samsara. The Data Engineer will also work closely with Samsara data analysts, data scientists, and ML Engineers to help prep data for models and dashboards.
In this role, you will:
- Enable our machine learning and data science team by building robust data annotation, training, and inference pipelines
- Build highly reliable computed tables (including unstructured data like video and audio) combining and transforming data across multiple sources, including Samsara sensor data, customer metadata, and financial data
- Use Python to access, manipulate, and join external datasets to internal data (e.g., via REST APIs)
- Ensure very large databases and compute clusters operate optimally and enable Data Science, ML, and software engineering teams
- Implement and maintain database structures and governance
- Develop / maintain data management at Samsara (including scalable systems to document metadata)
Minimum requirements for this role:
- BA / MS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline
- Experience in data engineering focused on ML / data science and ML operations
- Experience with standing up ETL pipelines to handle massive volumes of data
- Experience working with Hadoop or Spark-based data platforms
- Experience processing and manipulating data very large data, preferably in Python (e.g., with PySpark)
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Python, and working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of software engineering fundamentals; high level of comfort reading and understanding full-stack / backend development code (e.g., our Go code base)
- Familiarity managing code via GitHub or other code versioning tool
- 3+ years experience as a data engineer or data-focused Software Engineer
An ideal candidate also has:
- Some experience with data visualization, preferably in Tableau
- Experience with distributed machine learning
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.