Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara is searching for a resourceful and ambitious Corporate Counsel to help build a growing legal team. In this role, you will collaborate closely with leadership and functions across the company on general corporate matters, including M&A, investments, and securities matters, while also taking on a broad range of other legal issues, such as commercial contracts and product counseling. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in M&A, investments/venture capital, and securities compliance, and is highly self-motivated and capable of managing a big workload. You can take ownership of a vaguely-defined objective and drive it forward to achieve an optimal outcome. Your diligence, judgment, and discretion make you a trusted counterpart in sensitive environments.
This role requires an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and who can work across multiple teams. We value individuals who are always willing to consider new ideas and do not fall prey to entrenched modes of thought. We want you to be a force-multiplier; making those around you more effective. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and are comfortable in stressful situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US and Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Advise and drive process on all legal aspects of strategic and corporate finance transactions, including structuring and negotiating key transaction documents, managing due diligence, drafting offering documents and preparing securities filings.
- Support various efforts related to corporate development, corporate governance, investor relations, and public company readiness.
- Design and implement corporate policies, procedures and controls required for private and/or public company compliance.
- Prepare resolutions, presentations and other materials for Board of Directors and Committee meetings and advise leadership on corporate governance requirements and best practices.
- Manage corporate structure and assist with subsidiary governance and international expansion.
- Help build a best-in-class corporate and securities function that can ultimately operate in a public company setting.
- Answer questions and offer legal advice on a wide range of issues, projects, and initiatives across the company, including in non-corporate areas such as equity, executive compensation, commercial, and product.
- Exercise initiative and creativity in solving challenges and accomplishing business goals.
- Work with leadership to drive strategic business and legal initiatives across the company.
- Support ad hoc legal requests of almost every size and type.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Attorney in good standing in the United States
- 5+ years of strong M&A, venture capital/investments, securities compliance, and general corporate experience, including experience leading complex transactions
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable and flexible, with a growth mindset and desire to work on a variety of matters
- Aptitude for maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical, creative and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm under fire
An ideal candidate also has:
- A combination of law firm and in-house general corporate experience, including extensive experience in securities compliance (in particular, SEC and stock exchange compliance, as well as ’34 Act and Section 16 reporting) and corporate governance at a high-growth public company
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.