Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
About the Role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced and results-driven Sales Engineering Manager to focus on our Connected Equipment (CE) and Site (CS) business. You should have experience managing and ideally growing a dispersed sales engineering team in a high-performance environment. Our Sales Engineering team is full of problem solvers and tinkerers who are not afraid to get their hands dirty (literally) and plays a critical role in demonstrating and communicating the value of Samsara’s platform with our largest customers.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US.
In this role, you will:
- Hire, coach, and lead an incredible Sales Engineering (SE) team
- Provide technical and business leadership for the SE team and promote leadership by example
- Manage individual and team performance, ensuring our partnerships with Sales, Product, Support, and Customer Success teams are productive and efficient
- Manage escalations (product issues, feature requests, etc.) in a pre-sales environment
- Support the Sales Engineering team in complex evaluations, troubleshooting, and challenging customer environments
- Improve onboarding and ongoing training for the Specialist SE team
- Partner with other Sales Engineering Managers to improve the overall Sales Engineering team at Samsara
- Travel to prospective customer sites for meetings as well as participate in customer briefings in San Francisco, Atlanta, and London offices as needed
- Develop learning plans and setting goals with Specialist SEs to ensure continued growth in both soft and technical skills
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate also has:
- The ability to thrive at working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong leadership skills and the flexibility to manage a diverse technical team
- Worked previously in a matrix environment with a proven track record of influencing important partners to ensure success
- A B.S. degree in Computer Science or similar
- 3+ years of sales engineering management experience
- Experience with software product sales, infrastructure, or SaaS
- Knowledge in one or more of these areas of expertise: IoT, Networking / Security, SaaS, Cloud Technologies, or Industrial Protocols
- Strong technical and business acumen
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership, creativity, and problem-solving abilities in previous sales engineering leadership roles
- Excellent presentation and organizational skills
- Ability to travel 60% plus, or as needed
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.