Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
On this team, we seek to build foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly, while operating within safe boundaries. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you helped build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improve our frameworks and infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
The Security Engineer role combines research, analysis, prevention, detection, and forensics. From detecting Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) attackers to analyzing novel attack patterns, the role requires constant adaptation as new challenges arise in our wide and ever-growing surface area.
In this role, you will:
- Be a security subject matter expert and respond to internal and external security engineering questions/requests.
- Work with other teams to build secure products, carefully balancing risk and product advancement.
- Respond to security and privacy incidents, write incident reports, and participate in post-mortems.
- Perform penetration testing on our internal and external applications, operate scanners and code analyzers, and manage our database of vulnerabilities.
- Operate external bug bounty programs to source vulnerability information.
- Work with teams within Samsara to discover and implement new detection capabilities and logging sources.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience on security-focused teams.
- Experience assessing security controls based on cybersecurity principles and tenets. (e.g., CIS CSC, NIST SP 800-53, Cybersecurity Framework, etc.).
- Experience in recognizing vulnerabilities in security systems. (e.g., vulnerability and compliance scanning).
- Experience in detecting host and network based intrusions via intrusion detection technologies (e.g., Snort).
- Experience in mimicking threat behaviors.
- Experience in using network analysis tools to identify vulnerabilities. (e.g., fuzzing, nmap, etc.).
- Experience in reviewing logs to identify evidence of past intrusions.
- Experience in performing impact/risk assessments.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.