Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role
The Senior Data Engineer will be a core technical contributor to Samsara’s data engineering team with deep expertise in creating and manipulating large, complex datasets that feed central data warehouses for Samsara’s data science, product, and engineering teams. The Data Engineer will be responsible for standing up and maintaining data pipelines, building computed tables and database structures, identifying data integrity issues, and overseeing data management at Samsara. The Data Engineer will also work closely with Samsara data analysts, data scientists, and ML Engineers to help prep data for models and dashboards.
In this role, you will:
- Develop scalable ETL jobs and managing large scale data pipelines
- Build highly reliable computed tables combining and transforming data across multiple sources, including Samsara sensor data, customer metadata, and financial data
- Use Python to access, manipulate, and join external datasets to internal data (e.g., via REST APIs)
- Ensure very large databases and compute clusters operate optimally and enable Data Science, ML, and software engineering teams
- Implement and maintain database structures and governance
- Develop / maintain data management at Samsara (including scalable systems to document metadata)
Minimum requirements for this role:
- BA / MS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline
- Experience with standing up ETL pipelines to handle massive volumes of data
- Experience working with Hadoop or Spark-based data platforms
- Experience processing and manipulating data very large data, preferably in Python (e.g., with PySpark)
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Python, and working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of software engineering fundamentals; high level of comfort reading and understanding full-stack / backend development code (e.g., our Go code base)
- Familiarity managing code via GitHub or other code versioning tool
- 3+ years experience as a data engineer or data-focused Software Engineer
An ideal candidate also has:
- Some experience with data visualization, preferably in Tableau
- Experience with distributed machine learning
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice except for employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work remotely through June 2021 from any US state or country in which they have a valid work authorization. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen except for field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.