Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About this role:
Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a Diagnostics Quality Manager at Samsara, you will obsess over product quality & safety with particular focus on Samsara product compatibility with customer vehicles. You will be responsible for developing and managing the execution of a world class diagnostics quality strategy. This will include having a deep understanding of vehicle communication standards/specifications, identifying & executing appropriate certifications, identifying/tracking/resolving make/model risk vector and product & build qualification.
Samsara’s fleet management products work across heavy duty trucks, light weight vehicles, EVs, North America and Europe.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Field / on-hands diagnostics debugging (travel, scope, root-cause)
- PID hunting (looking through TekNet, veh. Schematics, etc)
- Test fleet maintenance (we must acquire & maintain test vehicles)
- Drive testing
- Standards specialist - reviews & drives adherence to diagnostics standards (message sequencing, timing, termination, etc)
In this role, you will:
- Support product & engineering/R&D initiatives throughout development and pre-release through the completion of product testing & validation for all Automatic products from the hardware/firmware itself to associated consumer (iOS & Android apps) and enterprise applications ensuring overall product quality standards
- Act as liaison between the hardware & firmware team and product management & design teams to ensure that vehicle and OBD-related functionality is properly understood in the process of scoping new product experiences
- Triage, and/or troubleshoot bugs or new enhancements relating to product diagnostics.
- Partner with Product and Engineering to define the goals around product quality, then institute and enforce formal testing practices and documentation for software, hardware, and firmware engineering
- Read and interpret wiring diagrams and PCB schematics in order to perform quality checks on hardware and test vehicles to log data on hardware/firmware function, performance, and validate expected behavior
- Complete vehicle mechatronic diagnosis and troubleshooting, component and sensor testing, component and system removal/installation/assembly, fabrication and modification
- OBD protocol debugging through the use of various Logic/CAN analyzers for the validation of a given OBD standard or specification.
- This can include conceptualizing/testing custom diagnostic equipment for the purpose of firmware validation
- Set up and maintain a test lab, test fleet and warehouse by identifying and procuring the equipment and vehicles needed to support new initiatives and business goals
- This can involve interfacing with third parties to procure said equipment, as well as, designing, building, setting up, and performing ongoing maintenance for lab and warehouse equipment
- Ongoing maintenance requires ensuring proper calibration, warranty servicing, power and connectivity requirements
An ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 4 years experience working in an automotive company. This could be as an engineer, a technician, quality assurance professional, etc.
- Have a strong understanding of CAN
- Have a strong understanding of vehicle diagnostics protocols such as J1708, Single Wire CAN, K-Line, J1708, J1850, etc.
- Have a strong drive to solve puzzles - to discover hidden pattern and find unexpected variances
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.