Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is changing the way how commercial vehicles and fleets are managed by connecting them to the cloud. Just as how the internet and smartphones have revolutionized the way we work, Samsara’s set of connected products encompassing wireless sensors, IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams is changing how businesses identify and eliminate inefficiencies, react to alerts in near real-time while gaining greater insights into their operations than ever before. With $930 million in venture funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and General Catalyst we are growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate and hardworking engineers to join our flock.
As a staff firmware engineer at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on millions of devices, deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You will tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for embedded applications on linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.c
An ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 8 years experience working in bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux environments.
- Have experience bringing up linux or embedded devices.
- Be excited about sensors (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems.
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
Staff Firmware Engineers specializing in Linux Kernels would also:
- Take leadership on complex and open-ended Linux kernel problems (e.g. performance issues)
- Lead and work closely with senior firmware engineers on large-scale systems upgrade and improvements, including upgrades to the kernel
- Demonstrate significant experience in complex systems bring-up for architectures with multiple processors and peripheral buses
- Take responsibility for implementing low-level firmware features as needed by product/feature requirements
- Architect and manage build and test procedures
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.