Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Senior Software engineer to join the Compliance team, which is part of the Connected Driver product group. The Compliance team builds distributed systems that enable our fleet customers to stay compliant with government hours-of-service regulations. Our systems encompass the core compliance infrastructure that automatically tracks and records driving activities, our highly performant and scalable cloud platform and customer-facing workflows, and our flagship mobile app for drivers that runs complex algorithms in offline and online environments to keep drivers compliant. We process large quantities of data in real-time and all of our systems work seamlessly to deliver a reliable, mission-critical experience to our fleet customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will design and implement some of the most critical aspects of Samsara’s fleet management product. You will drive the evolution of our best-in-class core systems to support our aggressive, 10x growth trajectory in the next few years (from 1M to 10M IoT devices). You will make our compliance business logic and infrastructure even more efficient, fault tolerant, resilient, and performant. You will help define the architecture and implementation of increasingly complex features and services as we expand the capability of our core product. This position can be office based or fully remote.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, design, and develop systems for powering the core of Samsara’s compliance products and platform
- Build full-stack features that drive the growth of our product and business, and make customers happy
- Design new workflows and reports that aggregate and compute metrics over large volumes of data
- Delight drivers by building new features in our flagship mobile app
- Develop plans and execute on the technical roadmap for solving performance and scalability challenges associated with high growth
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- 4+ years of experience building customer-facing applications
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals
- Experience working on large-scale enterprise software applications
An ideal candidate also has:
- Contributed heavily to driving significant value to their customers
- Enjoys understanding users and what would make their day to day processes easier
- Loves shipping high-quality features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
- Worked in a regulated environment (e.g payments, health tech)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice except for employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work remotely through June 2021 from any US state or country in which they have a valid work authorization. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen except for field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.