Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Staff Infrastructure Engineer to join our San Francisco-based Infrastructure team. The Samsara Infrastructure team's goal is to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and microservices that power Samsara’s cloud platform. We seek to create foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly.
You’ll be a thought leader on a team that maintains a product we provide to the rest of engineering, like storage, container orchestration, and ingestion. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Samsara. There is a lot of work to do to make Samsara engineers’ work easier and our platform even more reliable than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, so we constantly get feedback that we can use to make them better.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US and Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, design and develop software and tools for creating and managing hundreds of microservices and databases.
- Continuously improve our Observability stack and collaborate with product teams to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize performance.
- Design and build infrastructure to support the development of highly available real-time streaming of data from Samsara’s connected devices.
- Lead the response to production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure.
- Influence the vision and roadmap for infrastructure to support our rapid growth.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 8+ years of experience on infrastructure-focused teams.
- Mastery of programming/coding practices.
- Expertise working with web services at massive scale deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS or Azure.
An ideal candidate also:
- Has 8+ years of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Is an expert in writing high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go).
- Knows their way around a UNIX shell and a Linux operating system.
- Enjoys leading and mentoring engineers to think about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, and failure modes.
- Enjoys fostering collaboration among engineers with different focuses (frontend, mobile, firmware, vision, ML).
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.