Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the team
Come help us build the Machine Learning and Computer Vision team at Samsara! The ML / CV team is responsible for building and deploying the machine learning models that power our computer vision features, including distracted driving detection, time-to-collision estimation, lane departure warning, and more. Using a combination of proprietary Samsara data (1.6T+ sensor data points collected annually) and open source source data sets / models, join the team developing powerful ML features in both our cloud platform and on-the-edge to improve the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of our customers’ operations.
About the role
The Engineering Manager for the ML / CV team will lead a team of ML / CV engineers to ship robust machine learning models powering computer vision features for our customers. The ML / CV Engineering Manager will collaborate with product teams and Samsara leadership to set the team’s roadmap, manage and prioritize feature development, and foster a culture of continuous improvement.
In this role, you will:
- Work with Product Management to prioritize feature development
- Build roadmaps, engineering plans, and schedule estimates
- Perform code reviews and ensuring proper design and delivery of ML models
- Promote best practices and establishing team processes
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Identify infrastructure and architectural investment needs
- Coach & mentor software engineers
- Conduct regular 1-1s and giving performance evaluations
- Hire, develop, and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
- Champion, role mode, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles
Minimum requirements for this role:
- 1+ years of experience managing a Data Science / ML team of 3+ engineers
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or related role
- Experience in designing and building highly scalable, distributed ML models
- Experience with common languages (e.g., Python, SQL) and tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, distributed training / inference with Spark) in the ML toolkit
- Empathetic mindset both to foster a strong engineering culture and build compelling products for our customers
- Strong ability to prioritize among competing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Preferred: Experience building computer vision features
- Preferred: MS / PhD in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice except for employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work remotely through June 2021 from any US state or country in which they have a valid work authorization. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen except for field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.