Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. Through our cloud dashboard and mobile app, customers gain real-time visibility and drive efficiencies into their commercial fleet and industrial center operations.
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Your team, the Assets Firmware Team, is a cross product platform team that designs, develops and maintains the embedded software for Samsara’s asset tracking products. These include a variety of wireless technologies including cellular, bluetooth, WiFi (and more to come), are both battery powered and externally powered. The technology stack spans C on bare-metal Cortex M0s to Go on A7s running Linux. Our products include very low power BLE temperature / humidity sensors, motion sensors, equipment trackers (powered & unpowered) that include smart integrations into the equipment.
Your team will take on challenges ranging from communication protocol design, implementation, validation to new product component selection, technology evaluation, BSP integration, board bringup.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of 5-10 engineers to deliver customer-driven solutions.
- Define, foster and support a consistent software development process
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship in embedded system development, including areas such as wireless (cellular, WiFi, LPWAN) connectivity, low power design, and CAN network integration, etc.
- Partner with Electrical Engineering to develop new products and enhance existing ones
- Conduct regular 1-1s and give performance evaluations
- Work with Product Management to prioritize feature development
- Build roadmaps, engineering plans, and schedule estimates
- Perform code reviews and ensuring proper design and delivery of major features
- Identify infrastructure and architectural investment needs
- Code on occasion to keep your sanity
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop, and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate has:
- Has a successful background as a firmware engineer
- Has experience with bare-metal and RTOS environments
- Has experience with wireless product development, ideally cellular.
- Proficient in C/C++. Golang a plus.
- Understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration.
- Experience developing individual contributors based on their needs and interests as well as the needs of the company
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice except for employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work remotely through June 2021 from any US state or country in which they have a valid work authorization. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen except for field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.