Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for an experienced Technical Account Manager (TAM) to provide white-glove service and technical support to our largest and most strategic enterprise customers. You will support a number of designated customers assigned to you by overseeing their overall support experience and collaborating closely with customer stakeholders, Samsara’s Customer Success, Technical Support, Product and Engineering teams. You will be part of the Premier Support Team within the umbrella of the Global Technical Support organization.
As a TAM you will be the customer’s source of truth for everything Samsara. Your deep understanding of the Samsara platform, along with your strong partnerships across all of Samsara's customer support teams, will ensure the customer is getting the best experience. You will achieve this by enabling the customer to manage cross-organizational complexity and deliver on operational efficiency and digital transformation initiatives. The TAM is a uniquely qualified technical advisor who is supporting the customer’s journey through proactive and prescriptive guidance to ensure value realization of their investment. Whether it’s a review of your technical architecture, a plan to address the customer’s changing needs, or providing feedback on Samsara itself - as a TAM will know the answer, or will engage the right people who do.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background with at least 5+ years of hands-on experience in a similar technical environment and account management roles. You understand the day-to-day aspects of customer support including overseeing tickets, building knowledge base articles, and providing product feedback to Engineering and PM teams. The role reports to the Head of Premier Technical Support, a team responsible for servicing Samsara’s enterprise and elite customer base. You will be a champion of Samsara’s cultural values: Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, and Have a Growth Mindset.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US and Canada.
In this role, you will focus on:
- Primary Point of Contact: Serve as the primary technical contact within Samsara by managing and owning the end-to-end customer’s support experience, including the coordination of all of their inbound inquiries with high touch, white glove service.
- Technical Consultation: Be the trusted advisor for the customer by leveraging your deep knowledge of the product and the customer’s business operations to provide technical insights and tailored solutions to meet their needs.
- Management of Support Experience: Direct availability to internal and external stakeholders, conduct support ticket reviews for potential trends, ensure deeper focus on customer tickets, and drive resolution on identified issues.
- Customer Partnerships: Develop and maintain a deep partnership with the customer and their company’s key stakeholders by gaining strong business acumen, understanding the organizational structure, and their operations.
- Product Knowledge: Become an expert on Samsara’s product portfolio of complete Internet of Things (“IoT”) solutions combining hardware, software, and cloud to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across multiple industries.
- System Expertise: Has deep technical understanding of the customer’s entire system, custom configurations, and unique product implementation throughout their lifecycle with Samsara.
- Proactive Support: Identify product and/or process trends to prevent potential issues related to the customer’s system setup and configurations by proactively monitoring their environment.
- Critical Issue Prevention & Risk Mitigation: Partner with internal teams to resolve business critical issues and mitigate legal risks to the customer by offering strategic advice, process workarounds and new features adoption.
- Analysis and Reporting: Provide weekly executive summary on ticket analysis and generate customer reports to identify and surface top trends.
- Technical Troubleshooting: Use your technical knowledge and product expertise to troubleshoot and resolve customer issues with high complexity.
- Responsiveness & Resolution: Respond to customers and resolve their inquiries in a timely and helpful manner with a primary focus on meeting our SLA goals.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work closely to develop partnerships with our Engineering and Product teams in order to reproduce bugs and build testbeds as necessary.
- Feedback Loop: Provide direct feedback to Support management for product and process improvements to help enhance the customer experience.
Technical Job Requirements:
- Strong background in Linux/Unix administration is required
- Experience in database query languages such as SQL and GraphQL is required
- Experience in troubleshooting API and various types of integrations is necessary
- Strong familiarity with using CRMs like Zendesk or Salesforce
- Experience with industrial systems, electronics, tinkering with cars, or similar hands-on work is a big plus
An ideal candidate has:
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, MIS, or other technical field
- 5+ years of experience in support, engineering, or other technical role
- Previous experience as TAM or similar role involving dynamic project management
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to influence individual contributors and leaders across the company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, you can speak both Engineer and Human.
- Strong bias for action, ability to dive deep, and insistence on the highest standards
- Ability to work in a hyper growth environment with shifting priorities
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.