Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
We are a dynamic team of former investment bankers, consultants, technology finance professionals, and engineers who enjoy solving the business challenges that come with rapid scaling. Our goal is to grow Samsara as fast as possible. Our role is to inform and drive some of Samsara’s most important business decisions.
The position offers a steep learning curve, a platform to inform significant decisions, exposure and accountability to Samsara’s leadership team, and the benefit of driving strategic projects. You’ll be contributing to Samsara’s growth with a direct connection between your activities and the success of the business. Are you up for the challenge?
The Engineering FP&A Manager will work on:
- Embed within the business and provide strategic and operational finance support to leaders within Samsara’s Engineering / Product organizations
- Drive end-to-end financial planning and forecasting (monthly, quarterly, and annual) for Engineering and Product investments
- Deeply understand and partner with Samsara leadership to set targets on our most critical growth metrics like Gross Margin, cloud usage efficiency, and cellular usage efficiency
- Providing context and connection among functions, across time (quarter, year, multi-year), and among varying levels of data (high-level external metrics to detailed operational indicators)
- Linking that context directly to our corporate and business strategy
- Objectively assessing the impact of the decision on our business
- Partner closely with Product and Engineering leaders to assess and balance resource allocations on a rolling basis in a data-driven, scalable manner
- Provide monthly and quarterly analysis and reporting of financial and operational results and variances to plan, to ensure key drivers, issues, and required actions are deeply understood
- Drive highly complex ad-hoc analyses, financial models, and business cases to influence investment decisions in product and technology decisions
- Partner with our corporate finance team to deliver analysis and reporting to our CEO, CFO, Executive Staff, and Board of Directors
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of experience with time spent in investment banking, consulting, or finance and operations within a top technology company.
- B.A or B.S. required, MBA or CPA a plus
- Team environments are your jam; you practice confidence without attitude or ego.
- You are a poised communicator and are not hesitant to voice your point of view.
- You take pride in your analytical and financial modeling skills and enjoy applying them to tackle highly complex business problems.
- You have a reputation for navigating networks of systems and people to find the information you need – but you don’t stop there: You tell the compelling story behind the data through relevant insights and conclusions.
- You are a structured thinker and have a strong command of “the details,” but don’t get lost in them.
- Executing projects end-to-end comes naturally to you.
- Prioritizing multiple work streams and various constituents come as second-nature.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel modeling and SQL skills. Proficiency with financial forecasting systems (Anaplan, Adaptive, etc) is a plus
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.