Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, hands-on individual to join our team as the Manager, Technical Accounting. This role will be responsible for technical accounting and reporting related to stock based compensation and equity accounting, cost deferrals, lease accounting, foreign currency/consolidations, and assistance with the preparation of the financial statements. The technical accounting team’s responsibilities include determining, establishing, maintaining, and owning the Company’s accounting policies and compliance with US GAAP (for internal and external financial statement reporting), including advising the Company and concluding on complex accounting and policy matters. The role interfaces frequently Finance, Tax, Treasury, and Real Estate teams.
The Manager, Technical Accounting will work on:
- Stock based compensation and equity accounting
- Manage the Company’s accounting policies and financial reporting in the following areas
- Accounting for capitalized software and deferred costs
- Lease, inventory, debt and investments accounting
- Foreign currency and consolidation matters;
- Preparation of cash flow statements & financial statement presentation (annual, statutory, and bank reporting);
- Assists with special projects, workflow process improvements, research of technical accounting issues and other duties as assigned.
- Review and approve complex accounting journal entries;
- Ensure a timely monthly, quarterly and annual close of related areas, reconciliations and related reviews;
- Overseeing the accounting interpretations and judgments in these areas;
- Accountability over the company’s related disclosures and footnotes;
- Prepare and present training to employees on certain complex technical accounting areas;
- Collaborate with key cross-functional stakeholders including finance and business operations on a variety of projects;
- Support external audit requirements and the development of process documents to be used in the Company’s control environment.
- As a leader in the Samsara Accounting department, champion, embody, and promote Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we continue to scale.
- Hire, develop, and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate has:
- Approximately 6-10 years of work experience, preferably with the majority of experience in public accounting or accounting advisory work, CPA license is required;
- Knowledge of technical accounting, including stock based compensation and equity (ASC 718 & 505), lease accounting (ASC 842), deferred costs (ASC 340), foreign currency (ASC 830), inventory (ASC 330), and cash flow statements (ASC 230);
- Experience with private and public companies; Netsuite or other large financial systems;
- Experience and familiarity with technology and software industries; writing technical accounting position papers;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.