Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
At Samsara, we are looking for a dynamic Director of Global Real Estate to join our growing team at Samsara HQ in San Francisco, CA.
The Director will be responsible for managing and overseeing all global real estate activities, including strategic planning, vendor management, purchasing, budgeting, programming, site selection, financial analysis, transaction negotiations, project delivery and workplace services.
Reporting to the VP Legal, the Director will provide a single point of accountability for all real estate activities to optimize facilities, improve operations and realize cost savings with responsibility to plan, develop, and manage the implementation and execution of a real estate strategy that supports the business objectives of Samsara.
We’ve built an exciting Urban Campus HQ in SF which is located in the heart of the Showplace Square ‘Design District’ -- you can feel the excitement and energy of what we do at Samsara when you step into our San Francisco offices. There are open floor plans, fully stocked kitchens, and great collaboration spaces. We focus on making sure that you have everything you need to work well from the right lighting to the latest technology.
What You'll Be Doing
- Demonstrate strong leadership by aligning real estate strategy and evolution with business strategies, products and people.
- Develop and implement innovative real estate strategies by country and region, incorporating the latest technology and contemporary thinking (i.e. collaboration spaces; sustainability) to transform the corporate real estate portfolio and employee experience.
- Provide recommendations that will contribute to a more effective real estate portfolio and facility operating model, optimizing investments in our global real estate footprint.
- Compile market data, forecast, budget, and other analysis to support real estate priorities and decision making.
- Manage real estate capital spend, operating budget and set and deliver on annual budgets.
- Utilize financial skills and acumen to make better business decisions, engage in negotiations, evaluate issues and propose solutions. (i.e. lease renewal vs. relocation vs. consolidation, collaborative and agile spaces vs. traditional office space etc.).
- Conduct ongoing workplace portfolio assessments in order to effectively leverage our footprint and optimize our employee experience; track, analyze and report capacity metrics, risks and opportunities to Executive Leadership Team.
- Lead negotiations and finalize contracts with respect to leases, facility vendors, architects, outside legal counsel, real estate brokers, contractors and others as necessary.
- Develop facility and real estate reporting tools (with strong analytics) providing leadership with a clear understanding of the overall real estate portfolio performance on an annual basis.
- Oversee and coordinate ongoing compliance with standards established by regulatory bodies throughout portfolio.
- Manage global AMER, EMEA and APAC Workplace team.
- Proven track record of developing, executing, and managing real estate strategies that meet corporate objectives.
- Demonstrable understanding of organizational best practices and how space impacts employee engagement.
- Ability to successfully present complex financial and organizational analyses to Senior and Executive Leadership Team.
- Ability to act as an organization-wide change agent, communicating effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Deep understanding of real estate related processes: strategic sourcing, supply chain management, human capital management, facilities management, location management, lease transaction management, design, construction and project management.
- Strong project management skills with experience in organizing, planning and executing large-scale projects from design phase through to implementation.
- Ability to collaborate with global executive leaders across the organization to ensure that the long-term strategy of the organization is being achieved through leveraging our space and resources.
- Strong business acumen, organizational skills, analytical skills as well as verbal and written communication skills required.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Engineering, Finance, Business Administration or Real Estate Management preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years in a corporate real estate, real estate planning and technology, talent management and operations, or consulting role with a global organization; experience managing or providing services to a geographically diverse portfolio.
- Exceptional accuracy and organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Familiarity with international/domestic commercial real estate processes and regulations from the proposal stage through lease or project execution.
- Experience managing international teams in multiple countries and regions, and conversant with international audiences.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.