Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
This role will report to the Manager, Revenue, and will be part of a team that is critical to the company’s month end close process and reporting function. In this challenging role, you will improve efficiency of close processes, work cross-functionally with legal, sales, corporate accounting and finance to develop and enhance internal revenue systems, take ownership in management of key revenue controls and policy, and be involved in supporting major projects that impact the entire accounting organization.
Revenue Accountant will work on:
- Actively involved in the monthly close process including preparation of reports and analysis, and reviewing various journal entries of finance team members
- Prepare journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations and flux analysis at month-end close
- Participate in critical accounting projects, including the implementation of new system logic or enhancements, and support new product launches to ensure revenue is recognized appropriately
- Heavily involved in drafting accounting requirements for non-standard contracts, new products, new customer types, etc.
- Enhance existing processes and controls, perform and maintain assigned internal controls
- Identify opportunities for outsourcing and work on automation projects to improve the speed and efficiency of the monthly revenue close
- Collaborate with key cross-functional stakeholders including finance, business operations, and sales operations on a variety of projects
- Support external audit requirements
- Assist in financial reporting during the month-end close process
- Support revenue team on ad-hoc analysis and projects
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate would:
- Knowledge of revenue recognition in US GAAP under 606
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3-5 years professional Accounting or Finance experience; Public accounting background is a plus
- Month-end close experience required, experience with order-to-cash cycle
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, with the ability to manipulate and digest mass amounts of data require
- Experience with management of external consultants and shared services
- Experience with drafting business requirements and collaborating with Finance Engineering teams on internal accounting systems a plus
- Experience with Netsuite or other large financial systems
- Knowledge of and basic ability to read and write SQL a bonus
- Proven ability to succeed in a fast paced and constantly changing environment
- Excellent time and self-management skills, ability to prioritize and multitask to meet deadlines
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.