Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
Samsara’s Industrial team operates as a startup within a startup and is designed to iterate extremely quickly to deliver new products for new customers across industries including manufacturing, food and beverage, energy, and utilities. We are building easy to manage, easy to deploy, massively scalable, internet-connected sensors to create real business outcomes for our customers: reduced maintenance costs, less downtime, increased efficiency, higher throughput, and better customer service.
The hardware development team is responsible for electrical engineering, industrial design, mechanical engineering and supply chain for the Industrial team’s products, from concept and architecture through production. The Director of Industrial Hardware Engineering will manage the EE, ME and EPM teams while working closely with the sales engineering, product management, supply chain and operations teams. This role and development team are based in our San Francisco HQ.
A Director of Hardware Engineering - Industrial will work on:
- Lead teams: Develop and grow an excellent hardware design team with a passion for shipping terrific product to customers
- Lead the hardware roadmap: Apply innovative thinking to solve challenges in our target markets
- Navigate the tradeoffs between performance, quality, time to market, and cost to create detailed hardware specifications
- Advance methodologies that enable the team to scale in headcount and concurrent product development capacity
- Develop Relationships: We partner with top semiconductor, JDM, certification and component companies to bolster our abilities to design, validate, certify, and manufacture our products
- Champion quality activities across development and production
- Research: Stay abreast of the latest silicon advancements; track market trends and get in the field to see what customers struggle with
- Negotiate schedules, resources, test plans, and occasional commercial terms with partners (in coordination with Supply Chain leadership)
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hiring, developing, and leading an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical or related engineering/science field; MS, PhD or MBA are optional.
- 10+ years experience in developing and releasing commercially successful products (commercial and consumer)
- Experience building a team of engineers and action-oriented technical leadership
- Preferred experience in systems engineering, electromechanical design, manufacturing technologies, and customer/field interaction
- Ability to travel up to 15% to Asia when necessary
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.