Samsara is searching for a resourceful and ambitious Compliance and Privacy attorney to help build the legal team and the company's infrastructure around data security. In this role, you will develop and execute programs that focus on the privacy issues most important to Samsara and our customers. You’ll partner with stakeholders across the business, including in Product, Engineering, IT, Security, and Support, to ensure Samsara meets our privacy and data protection obligations. In addition, you will be responsible for building compliance programs to meet Samsara’s regulatory obligations, such as export controls, partner diligence, and anti bribery programs. You have a technical background to understand software and networking solutions to keep data secure, as well as the legal background to proactively identify needs and risks, prioritize projects, and implement nuanced compliance solutions.
This role requires an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and can work across multiple teams. We value individuals that are always questioning and iterating so that the best idea wins. We want you to be a force-multiplier; making those around you more effective. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and are comfortable in stressful situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion.
- Refine, implement, and audit Samsara’s programs to comply with applicable data security regimes, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation
- Explore, develop, and implement industry best practices and the certification regimes that embody them (such as ISO, SOC, etc.)
- Conduct compliance training risks/needs assessment
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for training employees worldwide. Strategy must include prioritization of topics and recipients, appropriate methods of delivery across a wide range of audiences, and a process for evaluating the effectiveness of compliance training.
- Build out processes and workflows to help Samsara build a robust compliance program, including incident response management, export classifications, privacy impact assessments, regulatory trainings, and risk assessment
- Implement solutions for customers that ensure the security of customer data and compliance with specific customer requirements
- Effectively communicate risk assessment and compliance principles to Samsara leadership
- Act as the central point of contact regarding compliance alerts, concerns, and trends for our industry and internal teams, and manage cross-functional efforts around turning these into opportunities for our customers
- Work with every corner of Samsara’s business to improve, implement, and track Samsara’s robust compliance program in a way that is thorough, concise, and balanced
- Strong knowledge of information security frameworks and standards
- JD from a top-tier institution
- 5+ years legal experience
- Expertise in data compliance regimes potentially applicable to an international software company
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues and customers
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable, flexible and creative
- Aptitude for maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex legal transactions and drive them to close
- Experience with counseling non-lawyers on complex legal issues in a fast-paced environment
- A practical and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature and calm under fire
- Cover letter strongly preferred. Please include examples of compliance challenges you have tackled in the past (without sharing any sensitive information!). Describe your background in the space and your interest in the role. Show off your concise and precise writing.
- Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier institution in a technical field
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.