Samsara is seeking an energetic, experienced and dynamic Payroll & Stock Compensation Manager. The role will serve as the global payroll subject matter expert responsible for full-cycle payroll processing for a 800+ person organization that is expected to rapidly increase employee headcount in a multi-state environment. The position will manage all aspects of the payroll and equity compensation functions for Samsara, including preparation, distribution, processing and reporting of payroll to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations. The position will act as the primary contact for all payroll and equity compensation related employee inquiries and will work closely with HR, the broader finance team. The position will also support month end accounting and accruals (payroll, bonus) and equity administration and maintenance.
- Ensure payroll expenses and taxes globally are paid correctly and on time
- All aspects of daily equity compensation administration surrounding: Incentive Stock Options, Non-Qualified Stock Options, Restricted Stock Units
- Verify the accuracy of weekly employee data changes for new hires, rehires, terminations, status changes, rate changes, leave of absences, and other payroll or stock based comp inputs from our People Operations partners and external vendors
- Manage processing, configuration, and reconciliation of all payroll data imports and exports to internal or external payroll or financial systems
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state, FICA, and local tax withholdings laws and regulations, including experience with pay practices for multiple states.
- Produce and maintain thorough payroll procedures that are compliant, efficient and current
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the payroll and equity compensation functions
- Provide oversight and management of stock-based compensation database
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley and all other applicable laws
- Assist with the preparation of equity-related exhibits for the Board and Compensation Committee.
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience with a BA or BS degree, or equivalent years of payroll work experience
- APA Certification (CPP or FPC)
- CEP Certification
- Solid knowledge of federal and state pay rules and regulations and payroll fundamentals including payroll tax, reporting, balancing, US pay policies, garnishments and payroll best practices
- Experience with Carta, ADP, Netsuite preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Accounting experience and knowledge of accrual methodology
- Previous multi-state payroll processing experience with working knowledge of multi-state taxation a plus
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
- Work reliably and efficiently under demanding deadlines
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all matters
- Detail oriented, strong analytical skills and have the ability to detect inconsistencies in data
- Willingness to take initiative and resolve problems
- Forward thinking with the ability to propose improvements on inefficiencies
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high attention to detail and quality control
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be customer service oriented
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.