About the Company
SALT is the pioneer of crypto-backed lending and offers crypto-focused financial services for individuals and businesses. Our mission is to build products that increase access to financial opportunities and give people more control over their ability to generate wealth long term. Committed to fostering adoption of blockchain technology, we’re working to bridge cryptocurrency with traditional finance. With an emphasis on security and customer service, we provide the technology, infrastructure, and tools that make it easy for crypto holders, businesses, banks, and governments across the globe to participate in the blockchain economy. SALT operates a blockchain-based platform that facilitates the issuance of consumer and commercial asset-backed loans secured with cryptocurrency and provides asset management services. The platform is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Salt Blockchain Inc. For more information, please visit saltlending.com.
SALT is a remote first organization with a dynamic workforce. SALT offers medical, dental and vision health insurance with 100% paid premiums for employees and their eligible dependents, generous PTO, a 401(k) with company match, company equity, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, an employee perks program, a remote work expenses stipend, a home office set up payment, a charitable matching gifts program and an engaged culture with a wonderful team! If you enjoy a fast-paced, progressive, hard-working environment, SALT may be the place for you.
About the Position
The Chief Legal Officer (CLO) will lead the company’s legal and compliance functions and staff, oversee and coordinate legal matters, ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and collaborate with outside counsel as needed. The CLO will report to the Chief Executive Officer and serve as a member of the Executive team. This position will work remotely.
- Provide management, leadership, strategic direction and oversight for the Legal and Compliance functions and staff.
- Utilize a broad familiarity with major legal disciplines to provide internal clients with timely advice and counsel to minimize risk and advance the interests of the company.
- Keep informed of relevant new legal developments and the evolving regulatory landscape around financial regulations and digital assets applicable to the company’s business - including federal and state laws, regulatory guidelines, SEC reporting, lending, and cryptocurrency - and advise internal clients accordingly.
- Partner with others to ensure public company SEC reporting requirements are met. With outside counsel and financial team, prepare and review reports filed with the SEC under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including disclosures on Forms 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K, Section 16 reporting and annual proxy statement.
- Advise on legal implications of different strategies relating to contractual relationships and product offerings, especially in the investment management and/or lending space, providing legal support for U.S. and global commercial transactions. Act as a dedicated resource to our business and product teams, including driving new product approvals, with a focus on legal strategy and engagement.
- Review, negotiate and prepare various agreements.
- Partner with external subject matters and engage outside counsel as needed, acting as the interface between business teams and external assistance and managing legal assignments and expenses.
- Oversee the company’s compliance staff, program, policies, education, procedures and controls to ensure compliance and mitigate risk.
- Coordinate with the Chief Executive Officer and the Executive team to support corporate governance activities and liaison with the Board of Directors.
- Respond to reported complaints involving ethics concerns and violations of law, conducting internal investigations as needed and in conjunction with the Chief People Officer when appropriate.
- Juris Doctor degree and licensed attorney who is a member in good standing with at least one state bar and has ability to get a single client license in CO as needed.
- 10 years of related experience as in-house counsel or in a large firm with a professional background in commercial transactions, ideally in the lending industry.
- Strong knowledge in U.S. financial services regulations, with a working knowledge of corporate, data and consumer protection laws and substantial experience working on SEC reporting, consumer lending regulations, licensing and transactions, Delaware corporate law, M&A, and corporate governance/compliance matters and/or investment management.
- Knowledge of cryptocurrency compliance and regulations is a plus.
- Supervisory experience managing, developing, and engaging staff.
- Experience effectively managing budgets and legal expenses.
- Strength in problem solving and applying legal insights to analyze issues and recommend viable options.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to represent the company credibly internally and externally.
- The ability to stay abreast of the latest legal developments and provide counsel accordingly.
- Detail orientation, diplomacy, organization, self motivation, dependability, and good judgement
- A drive to understand the business, industry, and applicable regulatory agencies.
- The ability to help set the tone of the organization to ensure collaboration, engagement, and that a positive culture is maintained.
- Ability to work and communicate in a remote environment.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Able to establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships.
- Even-tempered and able to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
Works remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
It is anticipated that the hiring range for this position will be $200,000 - $225,000 DOE