At SafetyCulture, we’re empowering front line workers to drive operational excellence and take ownership of their safety and wellbeing.
We’re looking for talented people to help us build a world class engineering team. We have hundreds of thousands of workers in over 150 countries using our platform, conducting millions of inspections every month, and having a positive impact on their lives. We’re facing interesting technical challenges as we scale the platform, and have ambitious goals to reach millions of workers by 2025.
The Tech Stack
You will work with Scala, Kafka and SQL daily. We are also fully hosted on AWS so you will utilise Redshift, S3 and Athena.
How you can have an impact
We have a challenging and exciting opportunity for an experienced Data Engineer to take ownership of building our big data infrastructure. You will have both a passion for building things from the ground up and a vision for recognising the strength this data ecosystem provides to the business both now and as we scale in the future.
Our data lake is almost built and we need you to complete it, maintain, update, input data and continue to evolve this.
- Be an integral member of the team responsible for the design, implement and maintain distributed big data capable system with high-quality components (Kafka, EMR + Spark, Akka, etc).
- Embrace the challenge of dealing with big data on a daily basis (Kafka, RDS, Redshift, S3, Athena, Hadoop/Hbase), perform data ETL, and build tools for proper data ingestion from multiple data sources.
- Collaborate closely with data infrastructure engineers and data analysts across different teams, find bottlenecks and solve the problem
- Design, implement and maintain the heterogeneous data processing platform to automate the execution and management of data-related jobs and pipelines
- Implement automated data workflow in collaboration with data analysts, continue to improve, maintain and improve system in line with growth
- Collaborate with Software Engineers on application events, and ensuring right data can be extracted
- Contribute to resources management for computation and capacity planning
- Diving deep into code and constantly innovating
- Experience with AWS data technologies (EC2, EMR, S3, Redshift, ECS, Data Pipeline, etc) and infrastructure.
- Working knowledge in big data frameworks such as Apache Spark, Kafka, Zookeeper, Hadoop, Flink, Storm, etc
- Rich experience with Linux and database systems
- Experience with relational and NoSQL database, query optimization, and data modeling
- Familiar with one or more of the following: Scala/Java, SQL, Python, Shell, Golang, R, etc
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, k8s), Agile development, DevOps and CI tools.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Equity with high growth potential, and a competitive salary
- In-house chef that cooks a delicious lunch each day, plus unlimited snacks
- Cafe and barista, bar, pool table, rock climbing wall and pet-friendly office
- Fun and quirky celebrations, including the annual ShipIt global offsite
- Great location in Surry Hills, close to Central Station and Crown Street
SafetyCulture is a customer and product-driven company with an ambitious mission: to empower front line workers to improve safety and quality in the workplace. The company started in Townsville, our HQ is in Sydney, and we have offices in Kansas City, Manchester and Manila.
Our first product, iAuditor, is a mobile platform that helps teams around the world carry out inspections and spot issues quickly and easily. The knock-on effects are huge: by surfacing exactly what matters, people in teams can act to improve their business, raising their game, again and again. From boutique hotels to space exploration companies, millions are discovering the positive impact iAuditor can have on their teams and performance everyday. Today there are 25,000 companies that pay for our products, carrying out millions of inspections per month.
This is an exciting time in SafetyCulture’s history. All of the product is built in Australia, and we now have around 300 people. We have a strong senior leadership team with experience taking start-ups through the critical scale-up phase. We’ve raised almost $100 million in funding, which provides security and allows us to scale the business. We’re using the funding to build complementary products, including real-time incident reporting, sensors and IoT, and workplace training.
What we’ve done is great, but the best is still ahead of us.